Author Topic: thing about getting a glock have some questions  (Read 357 times)

Offline tango3065

• Trade Count: (1)
thing about getting a glock have some questions
« on: November 22, 2006, 05:17:25 PM »
I have a few guns well a few to many says the wife and because my 2 safes are full lol so in order get get a new one I need to trade one in. I am thinking of giving glock a try and thinking of getting rid of my fairly new CZ40P mainly because the price of 40S&W shells and it is a gun I really have no use for, and I may even carry the G19 some after I get used to it even though I usually carry my j frame mostly. Here are my questions.

Do you feel comfortable with glock not having a safety other than the built in ones?

Will the polymer frame last through my lifetime?

What are your thoughts on the NY1 trigger (8Lbs) and the NY2 trigger (12lbs)?

Do you feel comfortable with 9mm stopping power compaired to 40S&W? (just curious don't want a froum war on whats better)?

What keeps the pins from backing out in a polymer frame and has anyone ever had that problem?

I use winchester white box JHP personal protection in all my guns for carry, does the g19 like this round and how do you like it?

Btw sorry for the long post, also I have shot a G19 and it fit my hand perfect but I still a little leary of a polymer guns longevity and never owned one other than my P22 which I don't really worry about its life span.

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Re: thing about getting a glock have some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 02:06:08 AM »
hey pard
i currently dont own a glock but have owned and carried just abt every model they offer
so i will see if i can help you out here a little

i feel perfectly comfortable carrying a glock loaded with one in the tube it is no more than carrying a da revolver cause with either if you pull the trigger its gonna shoot
you just have to live by the "stay off the trigger til you're ready to fire" way of life but thats with all guns the glock is no different
as far as durability go to glocktalk.com and search for tests that were done on the glock
a glock will outlast you and your kids under normal use
check out federal hst ammo using the 147 grain bullet it performs under almost all conditions except glass and i dont think you're gonna be shooting thru windshields are you??
i have never heard of a frame pin backing out or breaking in a glock
i carried winchester white box 147 grain jhp's in my 19
they were accurate and they performed almost as well as the federal stuff except they tended to seperate every now and then
you said that g19 fit your hand perfect thats half your answer right there
i would highly reccomend the glock as a carry gun mine rode in either a iwb holster or a kydex paddle holster and it was very easy to forget i had it on even carrying 15+1 rounds in it it weighed less than my ruger vaquero does empty
go for it
sureshot

Offline mikedb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 02:25:13 PM »
I had the same fear about the DAO set up.  But it is really just the same as a revolver.  I carry a 19 most of the time.  It is light, has lots of firepower (#of rounds)and I shoot well with it.  I used to worry about a cocked and locked 1911 too.  That fear went away too.  I never felt the need to own a 40.  I do like 9mm and carry 124 Gold Dot +p in it. 

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:51:28 PM »
One of the reasons I first liked the Glock was because it didn't have an external safety. I had been a revolver guy and if something happened in the middle of the night I didn't want to have to think if it was up or down on the safety. It was just point and shoot. Then I learned that Glocks had 50% fewer parts than the current pistols, and that appealed to me. And then all the tests. Hokie smokes. They tried so hard to make it fail, and it just kept on shootin'. So I took a deep breath, and got one. The .40 S&W hadn't come out yet, so my choice was either a 9mm or a .45 ACP. To me that was a no brainer. Been carrying around a G21 ever since. Sometimes when I'm all dressed up and carrying someing small, it'll be a 2.5 or 3" S&W .357, but most of the time it's the Glock.

I have never heard any reports of pins working their way out, or any damage caused by polymer fatigue. If you look at all the gazillion copies out there, I think if there was a problem with the polymer frames, some manufacturer would have blown the whistle on it a long time ago. I have read of a few tests where they put over 100,000 round through a 9mm, and I think one was over 300,000. I know I'll never even come close to that, because I have so many other toys to play with that none of them will ever get worn out due to over use. I do believe your kids will enjoy your Glock long after you're gone.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 10:02:32 AM »
I have a Glock 22 40 S&W, and a 357 Sig barrel for it. Great pistol, accurate and reliable. I prefer my Ruger decocker models ,P95 (9mm), P90 (45) and P345 (45) over the Glock. Cheaper, super reliable and very accuarate and easy to shoot.  IMHO