Author Topic: Self defense: Avoidance?  (Read 430 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Self defense: Avoidance?
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:34:52 AM »
My favorite defense mechanism is to stay out of situations that can result in a dangerous confrontation. For example, living in a low-crime area instead of in a high-crime area. How come we don't see more of this sort of thing in the self-defense literature? Is it because the people writing that literature are in the business of being in dangerous situations?
Safety first

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: Self defense: Avoidance?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »
I agree with your premise,I recently drove away from a confrontation in a Lowes parking lot.The macho thing would have been to engage,but I believe if you can avoid a potentially deadly situation,you are best served by removing yourself from the danger   my2c  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline nabob

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:54:16 PM »
Many people don't have as many options about where they live.

All the decent self-defense books I've read include avoidance. Others are only trying to teach a set of physical skills without considering the entire picture.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »
The self-defense continuum always begins with avoidance.  Walk/run away from a violent situation or try to talk your way out of it if at all possible.  I live in a very low crime area, but sometimes have to work in high crime areas.  Another part of avoidance is attitude.  I'm not talking about being a bada$$, but having an alert attitude, head up, observant of your surroundings.  Acknowledge people as they approach you.  Sometimes, by recognizing an approaching person who may be an assailant, you remove their element of surprise or put them off balance and can avoid a situation.  When they know that you are looking, things change.

If you look like a victim and act like a victim, soon enough, you will be one.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 01:50:26 AM »
Low crime area---not in this urban setting.
Folks do have any choice in where they live, if they want the things that urban living offers, most of the time.
Doesn't seem to matter anyway--check out the last two school incidents.
I have never come very close to any situation where I did not have the choice/chance to walk away.
Road rage happens in the country also.
I try and be prepared wherever I am BECAUSE I din't know.
Complacancy will get you killed in combat, whether in a war or at home in bed.
This usrban scene has no front and folks drive from town to the suburbs to do their business, unfortuantly.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD