Author Topic: Field gun carriage & limber axles  (Read 841 times)

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Field gun carriage & limber axles
« on: October 28, 2006, 03:53:14 AM »
Hi all,
When a full size repro carriage is made in the U.S., what metal is generally used for the axles, wrought iron or a substitute?
Thank for any assistance,  Adrian.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Field gun carriage & limber axles
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
True wrought iron is almost impossible to acquire anywhere on the planet any more.  Mild steel is very similar and is what is used for most applications now.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »
 ;D HI:
I have used steel ,a thick walled rect.tube for the main body and a higher grade of steel (let in to the tube about 4"for a #1full scale carriage) at the hubs. Useing cast iron boxings there is enough metal differance that a heavy grease makes the whole thing turn with no bindup.
Gary

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:18:09 PM »
 The 1/4" tube steel Gary's talking about works great  .I take 1  1/2" shaft stock  have it milled to go inside the  2" tube about  3" but have the milling done with about 4 degree angle to give me my camber ,instead of bending the axle. Drill holes in tube  to plug  weld ,your set.
  The nave  i make out of  round dom tubing  1/2" wall  put some barbs on  press and fibre glass it in the hub  good to go. I usally do this when hub is in rough stage then chuck off extra  DOM to turn dead center hub.
  Note with steel on steel  you must be sure to add a grease groove to the top of the axle { with in the nave area } only . The groove not only greases at every bounce but gives a place for grit to collect ,preventing lock up.

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:43:25 AM »
 ;D HI:
Mt spindle looks like this[img width= height= alt=image hosting by https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/]https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/michiegr1/spindle.jpg[/img]
Gary