Author Topic: Rugers auto's  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
Rugers auto's
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:21:25 PM »
OK, I was wondering what any of you thought about Ruger's semi-auto pistols??? I know eveyone states how great the SP101 is the the GP 100, the Mark 1,2,3,4 are some of the best 22 lr pistols out and the mini 14 people love as well. What about Ruger's semi-auto 45's both the 345 and the P90's. Would you carry them and bet your life on them, now before you answer think about all of you that carry the SP 101. Why don't people talk about them that much, they have the same shape as a HK. Know I know people that have them and love them but they don't talk about them as much as their sig, Kimber etc... Does anyone know how long they live for, accuracy and reliability?????? Is there anyone that knows the answer Charlie Brown!!!

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
Re: Rugers auto's
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »
My experience with Ruger autos has been all positive.  Their earlier guns were chunky and ugly, but went bang every time, and were accurate.  Their new .45 looks like it will be a great seller for them as well.  In my opinion, Ruger is the best arms company in the U.S.  Yes, I would, and have, trusted my life to a Ruger

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:00:31 PM »
Before I retired I had many auto's brought to me for a reliabilty tune-up. They ranged from Colt's mostly, to a few Springfields an occasionaly AMT Hardballer (which I hated) and a few Smith autos. I never had a Ruger brought into me for a reliability problem and several officers on my dept. carried them. The most that came in the later part of my career were the Glock 17 in 9mm. 99.9% of the time it was a loose grip or limp wrist. I could jam these guns anytime I wanted to on the range with this trick just to jack with the officer that carried it. 9mm had proved to be a poor stopper. The Ruger WILL go bang when you pull the trigger. One with a couple hundred rounds thru it without a stoppage would not cause me any disconfort at all taking it into a bad situation as a backup or as a duty weapon. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
Seems like my Ruger autos are the only ones I never think about trading off. I have a P-95 9mm, P-94 .40s&w, and the P-345 .45acp. I cannot remember ever having any kind of failure whatsoever with either of the three. They just always work, and, in my experience, with any ammo you happen to feed them. Really like the 345.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:51:54 PM »
I have owned a lot of the Ruger auto's, 9mm 40 S&W 45 Auto's. I never had a problem with the guns functioning. But I just don't like how bulky they are. Would I trust a Ruger auto with my life?, I sure would.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:32:32 AM »
I have owned but one Ruger centerfire auto pistol. Bought a KP95DC stainless for my wife back in the early 90s, if my memory serves me correctly. She has long since moved on to more compact pistols. I have used the P95 as an IDPA loaner for years. It has a ton of ammo thru it, mostly lead reloads. It has never had any failures of any kind, to my knowledge. I own a couple dozen pistols that cost several times the price of the Ruger that can't claim such reliability. Do I like to shoot the gun?  Nope, don't care for the sights or trigger, and the gun is way to clunky for my tastes. If you need an inexpensive, durable, stone reliable pistol, you can't go wrong with a Ruger! I have seen simular performance in the Rugers I have seen on the range.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 04:22:36 AM »
The only one I have ever used was a P-85.
It left a bad taste and I have not been back.
sending Spent shell casings bouncing off of my forehead and
falling down behind my glasses is not a trait I desire in a handgun.
It did go bang every time though ! accuracy was mediocre at best.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Ghostrider_23

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:10:47 PM »
I have to tell you all, I went to the gun range this weekend and rented a P-90. The groups at 25 yards where between 1"-2", I then went out to feel up a new P-90 and found the 345. You guys may think I'm crazy but I like the feel of the 345 better than my sig!!! Do any of you have any interactions with the Ruger 345??? I have looked at many good reviews about this gun but would like to hear somemore and even the bad.

Offline jimster

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 11:47:47 AM »
Just handled the 345 this last Sunday, my uncle Bill had it in his truck. Didn't get to shoot it, but we handled it a lot, took it apart, things like that. It felt real good, seemed a lot slimmer than the older auto's.  I liked it a lot.
I liked the sights too. He loves it. I hope to get a chance to shoot it sometime when we are in a better spot.
We were at a family reunion and snuck off to his truck, but no place to shoot it.
Should have family reunions where there are backstops!

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:51:41 PM »
I have one and really like it. The grip for me is almost perfect. Other than the long double action trigger pull, I can't think of anything else to really gripe about. It is like all the rest of my Rugers. Will shoot anything you feed it and all reasonably accurate. Never had a failure of any kind. Get it and you won't be sorry. :)
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 01:02:20 PM »
I alternate between my P89 9mm or my P97 .45 or my Blackhawk with the .45 ACP cylinder in it in my vehicle with either my 9mm snub or my .38 snub in my pocket.l
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 08:35:13 PM »
A gunsmith showed me a gun used by a State Highway Patrol officer several years ago. I don't remember which model it was, but it was a 9mm. The officer was engaged in a high speed chase on the interstate, doing about 90 mph, and firing his Ruger left-handed out the window of his car. Somewhere in the process . . . he dropped it. The Ruger hit the pavement doing 90, and you can imagine how many time it bounced before it finally came to a skidding halt. The gun had an ugly scratch along the left side that extended into the grip where it hit something with an edge pretty hard, and the top right part of the rear sight was broken off. According to the gunsmith the gun worked flawlessly, he replaced the rear sight, but, of course, there was nothing he could do about the scratch (it was a dandy!). He just said, "That is one tough gun."

When the S&W Sigmas came out they switched to those, but that didn't last long. Don't know what they are using now.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Ghostrider_23

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 07:41:31 AM »
I got a 345 this weekend along with a SP 101. I hope the 345 works out well for me, I'll find out this Saturday when I go to the range.

Offline Bill in IL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »
I have a Ruger P90 .45ACP. The gun performs flawlessly. The only complaint I have is it is bulky.

Offline Rex B

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 08:32:39 AM »
My first in a long time gun purchase was a P89DC about 12 years ago.
I've since bought other handguns, most of which fit my hands better.
But the Ruger is the only gun I've ever had that has never failed.
It was the logical choice for my CHL classes. I brought a smaller gun for my wife, but she chose to qualify with the Ruger.

Last year I replaced the origianal plastic grip panels with a Hogue wraparound replacement. Even though it makes the grip thicker, it is now much more secure feeling.

This gun is my house gun, because I know it will alwys go Bang when it needs to.

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »
You shoot houses with just a handgun? Isn't that asking for trouble? I would use something like a 338. ;D

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 02:44:36 PM »
A shotgun with slugs works great on most houses, three bedrooms or less. If attacked by a bigger house, I just run. They're usually pretty slow when they get that big! (The ones with the pool are the really nasty ones!)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 03:55:08 PM »
I wish I had thought of that! ::)

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »
Ghostrider_23
  Owned and CCw'd a P90 for the last 5 years! Yep would bet My life on that gun and my newest one the P345 which replaced the P90 yesterday! Had Thousands of rounds through the P90 with out a hitch -put 30 rounds through P345 today same thing! The P345 is a better gun then the P90 for carry and is more accurate atleast for me! Recoil is noticeably less too! ;D
One shot , One Kill

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 02:40:12 AM »
You shoot houses with just a handgun? Isn't that asking for trouble? I would use something like a 338. ;D

Dee and Old Griz,

Gives me a whole new perspective on my wife's favorite spectator sport: house hunting. I'll never complain again when she wants to drag me along! She'll never guess why I'm smiling. Now, what to carry....

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 07:55:38 AM »
To get one mounted, do you need a realtor's license, or a contractor's license?
Griz
<*}}}><