Author Topic: Does NEF make a smooth bore heavy slug gun?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Does NEF make a smooth bore heavy slug gun?
« on: October 29, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »
Hi All

I would like a heavy barrel smooth bore 20 gauge for a project but I cant find it on NEF's website.

Is there a model like this?

Thanks
Kid

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Does NEF make a smooth bore heavy slug gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 04:13:42 PM »
nope.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 02:10:55 PM »
.....this is something I have been thinking about....I think I am going to buy on of the topper 12-guage smoothbore shotguns that take the screw in choke tubes, get an improved cylingder bore choke tube, and then have a gunsmith afix some williams rifle sights to it and voila!....an improved cylinder bore smooth bore slug gun with rifle sights.........

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 03:56:46 PM »
A great gun for the greengrowth and swampy areas for sure!!!....<><.... :)

P.S. - andrewtheelder3, got one tied to a tree?  or as they also ask, gutchadeeryet?
I know your one of those lucky ones that can hunt on residents only day, before they let us flatlanders loose... ??? :'( >:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
.....Heck no!....I am a LOUSY, hunter....mostly i just walk around in the woods and shiver and sight alot of does in years when i do not have a doe permit.....however....my older son shot one deer so far...I have field dressed a couple but I did not grow up in a hunting family and only began hunting 15 years ago out of curiosity....like it, but collecting and target shooting and mauser matches are more my bag......and reloading.....

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:25:06 AM »
I like to think hunting isn't only harvesting an animal that God put there for us to have dominion over but it is also getting out there in the woods and enjoying God's handywork....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 11:28:49 AM »
By the way, getting back to the subject, didn't H&R make a heavy barrelled 12 gauge smoothbore for Turkey hunters a few years ago? I might be wrong but for some reason I think I may have seen one a couple of years ago. Probably imagining it....<><.... :)

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 09:35:03 AM »
Go here and look at Tracker II, Topper, or UltraSlug guns:

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/excell.aspx

One of those ought to get you started in the direction you are wanting to go.
Hunt close, then get closer.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 04:38:19 PM »
they made some factory 12 ga.guns with no choke or very little choke with factory sights years ago still se some at the gun shows.......got one myself,,,,,,shoots the old punkin balls real good.....not to bad with the lyman sabots ......jb

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 03:25:03 AM »
You could buy a 10ga and have it sleeved to 12ga. Probably not the cheapest project but I bet it would be unique.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »
The Pump Protector probably has a Cylyinder bore barrel.
The Pump Turkey has a tukey choke tube installed, but you could put an Imp Cyl tube in and it already has sights!!
They have a pump slug gun, but my guess is the barrel is rifled, although it doesn`t say.

Jack

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 06:17:37 AM »
.....it is interesting to me that nef has not thought of offering a smooth bored rifle sighted slug gun with the nice high visibility wiliams fire sights that they put on the muzzleloading rifles before now....after all, most of us buy these things and their accessory barrels because of the low price and handy handling characteristics......and the old foster pumpkin ball slugs are half the price or less of the new rifled barrel sabo slugs.....and at the distance(s) deer are normally taken at here in Maine (generallly under 85 yards) the fosters are probably not that bad of a bet......

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 09:58:11 AM »
Here are a couple older smooth bore 12 ga. slug guns. 

The brown stocked model is a Pardner Tracker SB1. The serial number begins with NF;  The other is an H&R Topper Deluxe Slug, serial number HK.  Both are marked "12GA 3" Cyl Bore"

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/EVOCONE/PICT0022.jpg

EVOC ONE

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 01:12:10 PM »
.....sweet!!!....wish they would re-issue both models....I can remember the topper model with the compensated barrel being offered in some of the wholesaler catalogs like Hicks and Jerrys sporting goods a few years back and i guess I should have gotten one when they were available....still, think they should be offered again...

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
I agree, I have a smoothbore barrel with sights on my Mossberg 500, an older one and I wouldn`t have it any other way. I am good, with my eyes to 50 yards, that`s all I nead. Jack.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
I got lucky with my eyes at 50yds on Wed. when I shot my deer.  Went for exam yesterday and found out just how far off my old glasses were.  New ones on now and can see again.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 09:53:11 AM »

If you go with the Topper Deluxe Classic it already has a vent rib on it. I love mine. Williams makes a clip on fire sight system that Brownell's sells for $44.95. I intend to get the fire sights pretty soon.

I was actually looking for a smaller clip on rear sight that could be used with the front bead as is but can't seem to locate them any more.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff