Author Topic: 9X18???????  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Mc85

• Trade Count: (0)
9X18???????
« on: January 23, 2003, 07:04:21 PM »
I am looking at maybe picking up something in this caliber,and I wanted to know a little about the round before I did...I know silver bear sells the stuff in hollow points,but that is about it.Is it even worth considering for self defence....sence the lose of my job I am kinda limited on cash so I wont be able to get that .357..,but I will have some cash from tax returns,and so got to thinking something bigger than a .22  might be a good idea?? So well anyway if anybody has any info on the 9X18mm round I would apreciate if y'all shared it with me.

Lates :D
        & God bless

Shawn Mc.
7.62x54R  the next best thing to being there!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
9x18
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 04:06:00 AM »
Mc85:  I hafta 'pologize to ya for thinking about Makarovs and the like after I responded to your last post about a carry gun.

Makarov pistols, the Communist Bloc version of the Walther double action auto, are chambered in the 9x18mm or the 9mm Makarov caliber.  It is slightly larger in diameter than the 380 but about the same length.  It is in the same class as the 380 auto and you can obtain 380 conversion barrels for the Makarov pistols.

The Gun Tests magazine reviewed these pistols and found some of them to have problems while others did not.  I guess it depends on which Comm Bloc (former) made them.  Some folks swear by their reliability.  They are apparently accurate and reliable but again, I believe that depends on the country of manufacture.

I understand these guns run about $200 or less.  You can see them in the Shotgun News advertized by a number of dealers.  There are other 9x18s out there, I believe FEG makes them and they are Walther PP look-a-likes.  

Overall they are supposed to be a good deal.  Maybe some of the other fellas can give you a bit more insight about them.  Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

9X18???????
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 03:29:15 AM »
I think the Makarov is a fine little pistol.  It evolved from Czech and German Walther pocket pistols which were popular in the 1930s.  It is a superb midsized defensive pistol.  The East German model is the highset quality, but most of the others are also good.  They have really gone up in the last few years.  Expect to pay from $125. TO $350,depending on the proof mark.  I think you will be please with the gun.

Offline rockbilly

9X18???????
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 03:31:45 AM »
I think the Makarov is a fine little pistol.  It evolved from Czech and German Walther pocket pistols which were popular in the 1930s.  It is a superb midsized defensive pistol.  The East German model is the highest quality, but most others are also good.  They have really gone up in the last few years.  Expect to pay from $125. TO $350,depending on the proof mark.  I think you will be please with the gun.

Offline Mc85

9X18???????
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 12:19:20 PM »
:D  thanx for the info guys! I am actually thinking about the PA-63....that is more in my price range..lol I spent most of the night a few days ago reading about them on various forums.Uh I am aware they need a little work to be good shooterz.,but a little work is fine with me...I enjoy it. :-)
Do any of you have any experience with that gun.Uh what are your thoughts about it?

ok welp thanx again

oh yeah what are your thoughts about hollow points verses fmj in that caliber? I have heard some people say there can be probs with not enough penatration when hollow points are concerned...atleast in this round? Any thoughts...also where can I get a good deal on ammo.And one more thing....uh have any of you guys dealt with J&G sales,or S.O.G.???  uh ok I am done now....thanx again!

Lates
       &
    God bless

Shawn Mc.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
PA-63s
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 05:51:54 AM »
Mc:  Two points about the 9x18.  You are correct about the PA-63 needing a little work - to make it more reliable and effective to shoot (trigger pull wise).  The Makarov is a better buy in that regard and you can get a new one for about the same or less than a PA-63.

Also, hollow-points don't always work the way you want them to in those calibers - those meaning less than 1,000'/sec.  They may not expand properly, or at all, or may over-expand and not penetrate deeply enough.  The 9x18 is ballistically about the same as the 380 and I have found the best overall load for the 380 to be factory ball.  My preference is for Sellier and Bellot - inexpensive, ballistically correct, and reloadable.

I would put my $ away until I could get one of the Maks.  Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline Mc85

9X18???????
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 05:10:12 PM »
:D Hey Mikey thanx for your input once again,I really apreciate it.Um anyway what have you heard about the Bulgarian Maks.They are/were selling for about 119 at FAC.How are the controls on it...like mag release position,uh safety,u know stuff like that.The PA-63 seems to have a nice position on the controls,one which I think I could like,but I am deffinantly looking for the best bang for my buck.So my mind is still very open to either gun.I am looking to spend no more than 150 total price with 50 rounds ammo.I know that isn't much money ,and uh what I can get for that who knows.
Like I said before I don't mind working on a gun to get it to be nice.I enjoy it,besides it keeps me out of trouble...LOL. :lol:  My dad is also a machinist so ...as far as I know no parts need to be replaced on the pa-63,cept springs,but if I needed parts made,or uh things reshaped,such as the feed ramp,I know I could get it done with ease...so yeah that is my situation..,anyway thanx again.Any input is welcome....sorry I ask so many questions...lol

Lates
      & God bless

Shawn Mc.

Offline Virginia Yank

FEG PA-63
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2003, 03:41:16 AM »
Just noticed your post so maybe too late to chime in.  I have a PA-63 and have been really pleased with it.  Been shooting Wolf 9X18 for practice because its cheap, however there is an occassional feed problem with this ammo.  Have not had any feed problems with Winchester or Eagle FMJ 9X18.  Hollow points will not feed at all.  Broke the firing pin and replaced it with a new one from Numrich.  Won't find the PA-63 in their on-line catalog but the Kassnar PMK is listed and it's parts are interchangable.
Virginia Yank

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
9x18s
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2003, 04:17:23 AM »
Shawn:  The Virgina Yank has some good points about the PA-63, but at least you have a place to look for parts if they are needed.  In that caliber pistol I would shoot straight ball ammo and forget about hollow-points or soft-nosed ammo.  Also, the Wolfe ammo shot very dirty in the guns I used it in and I still have a bunch of the 380 I'm giving to a friend because his shoots one more boxful than mine does before it starts jamming on that stuff.  

On the Bulgarian Makarov.  or any Makarov, you have to pay attention to the hammer block safety.  In the Gun Tests magazine, the article on the Makarovs contained some complaints about that safety falling out during testing.  Come to find out, the staffers were inadvertantly causing it to do that with the way they were working it.  I would check the literature on those pistols and then make your decision as to which you might prefer.  There are guys out there who absolutely love their Maks.  You can find the Gun Tests web-site at www.gun-tests.com and see if you can locate the back issues that cover the 9x18s or the Makarovs in particular.

Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline Mc85

9X18???????
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2003, 05:07:38 AM »
Hey all welp I decided on the PA-63....I am gonna go pick it up today provided b/c goes good,and quick...hope no delays..lol.If only dad had a ccw like me...,,man that would speed things up,alwell atleast he will buy for me.I found a place I can look at one in person,and check out the trigger and stuff.I have heard single action pull varies from gun to gun,so I hope I will find one that feels good. So well I may kick myself later for not going with a mak,but I hope not.I like working on guns,do it often,and from what I have heard these are supposed to be easy enough to fix.I will let y'all know my opinions after a few hundred rounds.Thanx again for all the info.I really apreciate it! Mikey specialy to you, u have been a big help in my last few post. Once again thanx to all

Lates, :D
      & God bless

Shawn Mc.

Offline Mc85

9X18???????
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2003, 01:36:57 PM »
Ok welp I got it today...,and shot a few mags thru it...ok so here are a few words to describe my first response,and a few thoughts that went thru my mind....like first I was like...."hmm I wonder is this really gonna hurt as bad as everyone says it will"..Well it didn't so my thoughts are like "DANG" WOW" OUCH" SWEET" HMMM" "OK" "ALWELL" "I LIKE"

I think I am gonna really like this gun,conceals great,functions well,(one ftf with a hollow point,but I think that prob is gonna be easy to solve! I hope so,also gotta work on the double action pull,but otherwise no complaints!!

Lates y'all

Thanx for the info .....

Shawn Mc.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Mc85
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 08:33:59 AM »
Shawn:  Good for ya.  I'm glad the one you got works as well as it does for you and that you are happy with it.  Now, get your ownself about half a case of good ammo - Wolfe stuff is pretty dirty - and get close with that PA-63.  You'll have fun.  Glad we could help.  Mikey.

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
9X18???????
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2003, 01:44:38 AM »
Hey all y'all

I bought a case of Wolf ammo for my Mak and have had several failures to fire.  Even after several strikes, some of them simply don't go off.  Most of the initial failures do go off with the second strike.  I would never use this stuff for carry purposes!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
9X18???????
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2003, 06:37:26 AM »
Wolff failures were always on SA shooting, never DA.  I'm not complaining about the round, just the Wollf ammo.  That's what I would not use for carry.  I use CorBon for carry, anyway.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline deecee

9 x 18 duds
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2003, 04:50:22 PM »
I believe that Wolf primers may be a little thicker than domestic primers.  You may have a weak spring, too.  Or some problem with the firing pin.  My experience:  Starlight cases, Federal primers, Unique and Speer all go together to produce accurate loads that load and fire every time.