Author Topic: CALIBERS  (Read 1242 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
CALIBERS
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:43:29 AM »
Well, let's see here.
I own calibers in--let's not name all, but those I use in S/D and for games--.380, 9MM, .38, .38 Super, 9X23, .357 SIG, .45.
I like the .380, specifically in a Walther-I have two- and I often find it in my pocket, always in the console. It is not a good game or competion weapon. It may not be the best S/D weapon but it is so handy and easily carried in this urban situation.
I own a .38 and it could be described as is the .380. It is a revolver and it finds its place with me some but not often or as often as the .380 due to round limitations. Not a competion weapon.
I own a 9MM. It is rarely with me. It is a pretty fair cometition weapon for some games.
I own a .38 super--and well, maybe a second soon--I like this round for cometition, it has many loadings. It is fun too shoot and I think it would be a very good defensive choice-though there are better.
I own a 9X23. This is a VERY good all around gun. It is very good in competition because of the low power to high power loadings it will accomodate, for pins and steel and target. It is the most versitle weapon I have. It would be devistating to be shot with--faster than a .357 with proper loading--and carries a range that is very good. I would say that the range it has is the best of all I own. It is a very high pressure round and can be loaded very soft. I find it often in the console.
.357Sig is a very good defensive choice. Slick as snot on a brass doorknob. Not good for games in the configuration I own, a Sig Sauer 239, but for defense none can be better, especially with the hi cap mag. I carried this on the vacation this year, all 6200 miles.
.45 - Of several manufacturers, Sig and STI. Still my go to gun of choice. Is fair in certain competitions and very good in a couple. Using a GOOD platform and made reliable, as in the Sig (out of the box) and STI, cocked and locked (well the sig is not carried C&L), I have a rosy view of the world around me.
Nothing to this little piece, just early morning musings and thoughts.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jro45

Re: CALIBERS
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 03:29:23 AM »
It seams to me that the 380 doesn't seem to have the power to put down a bad person. Unless you stick it right into him. Just my thoughts!

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 04:21:40 AM »
jro45:  A friend of mine shared something over the weekend on the way to the Tulsa Gun Show, he has a small range on his property in which he has several old tires filled with sand/dirt all stacked bowling alley style, well one day he picked up a small 22 caliber revolver and went to his shop to tinker with it, grabed a few 22 shorts just to try it out well it only took 1 round for him to realize he didnt want to get shot again with a 22 let alone anything else, the one round he fired didnt go thru the tires it bounced back and hit him in the stomach, he carried a blood blister for several weeks and has never fired that 22 or any other 22 into that berm again, it hurts to get shot even with a 22 and nobody I know of or have met will invite you to shoot them to prove it dont. ;D  JIM

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:31:04 AM »
All of us have our preference when it comes to selecting a particular caliber for hunting, self defense, or just plinking.  Over the years I have come to respect all of them, especially if on the business end.  The lowly .25 has been touted for years as being underpowered, in-accurate, and not a good choice for self defense.  I agree,  it is not my choice, I usually pack something considerably larger, but there have been occasions when it went into my pocket, because I know it will work if up close and personal.

The point, small calibers like the .22 and .25 are responsible for the loss of more lives than all others over the past 75 years.  Unusual circumstances occur in a lot of shootings, recently a policeman in Jackson, MS was killed by a carjacker from a distance of 40 yards by a single .25 caliber bullet.  The carjacker had been hit several times in center mass from the officers 9mm, but still managed to get the fatal shot off and kill the officer with the single shot to the lower abdomen..  The officer bleed to death.

I believe in the “big stick “ (.45) theory, but you can also be beat to death with a small one.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 12:55:13 PM »
Well, let's see here.
I own calibers in--let's not name all, but those I use in S/D and for games--.380, 9MM, .38, .38 Super, 9X23, .357 SIG, .45.

Just a question... .380, 9mm, .38, .38 super, 9x23 and .357 Sig , aren't those all the same caliber?  If so, you'd actually only have that one caliber and the .45 caliber. 

Caliber doesn't eqaute to cartridge or chambering.  One can have one actual caliber yet have MANY different chamberings using that caliber (six) projectile. 
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 12:01:15 AM »
I would agree, somewhat.
The 357Sig is a .40 caliber casing--necked down, of course.
The others are basically 38's/9MM's, almost interchangable.
One can shoot .357 bullets in some of them but without the full effect.
The loadings of each are dependent on a number of factors.
The casings and rims are different.
The 9x23 casings I use are winchester and are high pressure casings.
You are correct of course and incorrect only somewhat.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 01:26:21 PM »
I would agree, somewhat. 
The 357Sig is a .40 caliber casing--necked down, of course. uses .355" bullets.
The others are basically 38's/9MM's, almost interchangable.. use either.355" or .358" bullets
One can shoot .357 bullets in some of them but without the full effect..either way, same caliber
The loadings of each are dependent on a number of factors..no effect on caliber of bullet
The casings and rims are different.. no effect on caliber of bullet
The 9x23 casings I use are winchester and are high pressure casings.. no effect on caliber of bullet
You are correct of course and incorrect only somewhat.. with cases, loads, rim styles not having any effect on the actual bullet calibr, I'd say that I was NOT somewhat incorrect in my statements.  If so, please point it out and accept my humbled apologies.

Regardless, with the .45 being the exception, the others are all the same caliber.  Remember, caliber is the bullet diameter.  The casings used, the cartrdige used, the type of rim or the loadings are still not the factor deciding the actual caliber. 

Also realized I never answered the initial question.  For my guns I'd potentially carry, I'd have something chamered in either 9mm or .357 magnum.  For simply range plinking, I routinely use handgns chambered in .22lr, .32 H&R magnum, 9mm, .357 and occasionally .45 Colt.  Hunting, well, narrowed choices here.  Either, .41 magnum, .44 magnum or .45 Colt. 
  I kinda like the smaller calibers and having just bought a multi caliber handgun, I'll be likely venturing into the realm of .25 caliber soon as well as adding the .380 cartridge to some range sessions.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 02:02:03 PM »
I routinley carry a berreta .25 auto in my front pocket when carrying something else isnt feasable. I shoot gold dots in it and dont feel a bit undergunned. I know i sure wouldnt want to get shot by it. Shoots some milk jugs filled with water with it with that load then shoot the same with a .22 and then tell me there about equal in power. I know id have to have 2 or 3 of those slugs in my chest. Just for grins I shot groups at 25 yards with it with the gold dots and ball ammo and it shot the goldots into 3 inch and the ball into 4 so there goes the inaccuracy theroy out the door. Ive put probably a thousand rounds through this little gun and its not bobbled once in anyway. Id trust my life to a gun like that as a matter of fact I DO!
blue lives matter

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 02:36:46 PM »
Lloyd Smale.  What .25 do you shoot?  I have two Colts, neither will feed the Gold Dot.  I have tried everything I can think of to make them work, but they won't feed.  They feed any full jacketed ammo great, but I would not want to shoot anyone with them.  When I carry the .25, I load a Gold Dot in the chamber, and load the mag with hard nose. Not great for a concealed weapon, but still better than a sharp pencil.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
Lloyd, I guess if I had read the post I woulkd have seen you carry a Berreta.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 11:34:32 PM »
OK, have it your way Blkhawk.
Try the .380 in the STI 9X23 or the .38, put the 9X23 in a 9mm, or the 38 super in a 9MM, the 357sig in the 38 or the Walther.
That is the onliest point I was making and it was not a question it was only musings and thoghts.
It has nothing at all to do with calibers, really, it has to do with platforms, casings, guns and shootings.
Must be a slow day. :-* ;)
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 12:17:30 AM »
that little beretta has been one of the best bangs for the bucks of any handgun ive ever bought.
Lloyd, I guess if I had read the post I woulkd have seen you carry a Berreta.
blue lives matter

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 12:57:06 AM »
Try the .380 in the STI 9X23 or the .38, put the 9X23 in a 9mm, or the 38 super in a 9MM, the 357sig in the 38 or the Walther.
That is the onliest point I was making and it was not a question it was only musings and thoghts.
It has nothing at all to do with calibers, really, it has to do with platforms, casings, guns and shootings.
Blessings 

Evidentally you still don't get it. In your initial post you stated you had "own calibers in--let's not name all, but those I use in S/D and for games--.380, 9MM, .38, .38 Super, 9X23, .357 SIG, .45."  I corrected your grammer and indentified the fact that caliber doesn't equate to cahmering nor cartridge.  The proper way to write your initial sentance would've been: own firearms chambered for the following cartridges.or something alng that line.
  Try the .380 in the 9x23? Both same caliber.
  In the .38? Same caliber.
  9x23 in the 9mm? Both same caliber.
  .38 Super inthe 9mm? Again, same caliber
 .357 Sig in the .38? Yet again, same caliber.
  If your point was trying to state tnat the cartridge would interchange, that's correct for most (.38 special/.357 mag) but again, they're that same caliber. Musing or thoughts...whatever they were they were misworded and therfore incorrect.  Now if it "has nothing at all to do with calibers, really, it has to do with platforms, casings, guns and shootings."  Then perhaps thet wording shouldn't have been used again.  YOU started the thread of tilted "Calibers" and ent on telling of "calibers" yet were actually musing and thinking about cartridges. 

Slow day?  nah just wanting to demonstrate that maybe, just maybe your thoughts and musings were improperly worded and by doing so, the statements were incorrect.  Evidenatlly not knowing the difference between calibe, cartridge and chambering has been the outcome of  poor nonmeclature.  perhaps that day this subject was taught was slow for you?  ;D  :-*

Ps...don't need the blessings everytime.  I'm quite blessed already.  ;)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 02:56:07 AM »
might want to proof read your own post before you going casting stones!
Blessings 

Evidentally you still don't get it. In your initial post you stated you had "own calibers in--let's not name all, but those I use in S/D and for games--.380, 9MM, .38, .38 Super, 9X23, .357 SIG, .45."  I corrected your grammer and indentified the fact that caliber doesn't equate to cahmering nor cartridge.  The proper way to write your initial sentance would've been: own firearms chambered for the following cartridges.or something alng that line.
  Try the .380 in the 9x23? Both same caliber.
  In the .38? Same caliber.
  9x23 in the 9mm? Both same caliber.
  .38 Super inthe 9mm? Again, same caliber
 .357 Sig in the .38? Yet again, same caliber.
  If your point was trying to state tnat the cartridge would interchange, that's correct for most (.38 special/.357 mag) but again, they're that same caliber. Musing or thoughts...whatever they were they were misworded and therfore incorrect.  Now if it "has nothing at all to do with calibers, really, it has to do with platforms, casings, guns and shootings."  Then perhaps thet wording shouldn't have been used again.  YOU started the thread of tilted "Calibers" and ent on telling of "calibers" yet were actually musing and thinking about cartridges. 

Slow day?  nah just wanting to demonstrate that maybe, just maybe your thoughts and musings were improperly worded and by doing so, the statements were incorrect.  Evidenatlly not knowing the difference between calibe, cartridge and chambering has been the outcome of  poor nonmeclature.  perhaps that day this subject was taught was slow for you?  ;D  :-*

Ps...don't need the blessings everytime.  I'm quite blessed already.  ;)

blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 06:40:52 AM »
I apologize for any slight I have made.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Questor

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 07:38:58 AM »
I'd sure like to try all the different calibers, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Here's what I've got in autoloaders. This is where most of the ammo goes:
1) 22LR
2) 45ACP

All others:
1) 38 spl
2) 44 mag
3) 6.5JDJ
4) 221 Fire Ball
5) .177 air pellet

What do I want that I don't have?
1) A good full-size 9mm with adjustable sights. SIG is the brand I want.
2) A good "mouse gun". Not sure what. .380 offerings are pretty attractive. Probably a Beretta.
Kinda hard to get something more though when I have such fine things already.
Safety first

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 06:28:21 PM »
32 Auto, 9mm, 40 S&W...

Are any of these the same size?   ::) ;D ;)
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 03:19:02 AM »
What the heck as long as we're picking nits, .355 and .357 are NOT the same calibre.  Interchanging the bullets can cause dangerous pressure situations and/or poor performance.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline S.S.

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 07:11:31 AM »
Amen Butler !

Here are my "CARTRIDGE CALIBERS"
.22 Lr - .25 auto - 7.62(x25 and x38) - 7.65(32 auto) - 8 mm (Roth-Steyr)
.9mm Kurz - 9mm luger - 9mm Makarov - .38 Spl. - 357 mag -  .44 mag -.45 colt -.45 ACP - .45 Auto-rim - .455 Webley - 10.4 mm Italian. And probably a couple more in the safe I forgot!

And how on earth is .355 and .357 the same caliber ?
Some 9mm's are .355 and some are .360. load a .360 diameter bullet into a .355
chamber and you may damage the weapon when you fire it. They are considered 9mm's though!
.355 is one caliber .356 is one caliber . 357 is one caliber and so on and so forth.
If the number is not the same, it is a different caliber !!!

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline S.S.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 07:16:37 AM »
This is for WilliamLayton ......

You can bless me all you want brother,
I can use all the help I can get !!!!!! ;D
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".