Author Topic: opinion of aftermarket sight for colt walker  (Read 948 times)

Offline pistolero

• Trade Count: (0)
opinion of aftermarket sight for colt walker
« on: April 03, 2003, 04:02:28 PM »
:D  :shock:

hi gang!

I'm having fun shooting my colt walker, butr find it a bit tough to get a  good sight picture....Right now, I'm filing and working both sights , hoping to get somewhere.  Not much progress yet.

So, thought that I would ask the pros for advice.. would it be feasibel to  go to my local gunsmight and ask him to mount  a set of iron sights or should I  get one of those  inexpensive (Cheap)  laser sights  that strap on and go that way?

I hate to devalue the personality of the piece, but would like to get some good shooting instead of wasting ammo of  the old file technique.

thanks.....

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
opinion of aftermarket sight for colt walke
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 02:34:04 AM »
A strap on lazer sight on a Colt Walker? Don't do it. Too weird. Very bad vibes.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 02:38:33 PM »
That strange whirring sound you hear in the distance?
It's Samuel Colt and Captain Walker turning over in their graves at about 2,000 RPM at the thought of putting a laser sight on the 1847 Walker!

As far as cap and ball revolvers go: live with the sight disparity.
If you MUST have a revolver with adjustable sights, buy one of those Remingtons with modern sights, or a Ruger Old Army with adjustable sights.
But I dislike snobs so I won't completely be one about your Walker.
Every Colt cap and ball revolver I've encountered shot high. To remedy this, you need a taller front sight.
An enterprising gunsmith, familiar with such arms, could fashion a tall front sight from brass, German silver, pewter or iron. It should be overly tall, so even the most powerful load shoots low at a pre-determined distance (presumably, 25 or 50 yards).
Then, once you've found the ideal load, and settled on it as the one load you want to stick with, begin filing down that front sight a lick at a time.
Eventually, you'll reach a point where the sight picture coincides with the bullet impact.
I would suggest that you have the sight fashioned in a half-moon shape, instead of a post sticking straight up. A half-moon sight will be less apt to break and not tear the leather inside your holster. It will also look somewhat more authentic.
But as for a totally adjustable sight on a Walker? I know of no such animal that wouldn't look like a monstrosity.
Putting modern, adjustable sights on a Walker would be an affront to a fine, historical arm. It would be like painting a Dusenberg with a can of Krylon spray paint!  :eek:
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Gerald McDonald

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 01:54:27 PM »
If you want better sights the way it was done in the 1800's was to dovetail a  rear sight on just in front of the cylinder and install a taller front. That way when you remove the barrel the sights stay together as a unit. The black powder gunsmith I have used told me this was an original fix for the old Colts. There is one at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco TX on an original Walker (actually several) and if memory serves there may also be one on an 1860 Army.
Gerald