Author Topic: Fire lapping, barrel constrictions, and leading  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Woodtroll

• Trade Count: (0)
Fire lapping, barrel constrictions, and leading
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:59:18 PM »
Veral (and anyone else who wants to pitch in),

I have a stainless Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt that is giving me a fit. It came with a significant barrel constriction just ahead of the forcing cone, and would never shoot as well as I thought it should, and leaded with almost anything I ran through it, even gas-checked bullets. 108 fire-lapping rounds later, ALMOST all of the constriction is removed. I can just BARELY feel it as I push a lead slug down the bore towards the forcing cone. Before, I had to drive it past this point with several licks from a nylon hammer.

Now, the revolver is pretty accurate, giving me several groups 1-1/2" or less at 25 yards. However, it still leads lightly with most of the loads I've tried. The only thing it doesn't lead with is a Lee 300 gr. gas-check RFN (the only GC bullet I have in this caliber). My goal is to have an accurate gun that will not lead, or at least accumulate lead past a certain point. I thought that the barrel might need breaking in or seasoning after the lapping, but I've fired about 60 rounds since lapping with no apparent relief in the leading.

Specifics are: Ruger Bisley 5-1/2" .45, stainless. Chamber throats are 0.4525", forcing cone area at restriction 0.4514-5", muzzle 0.451". The chambers are aligned well with the barrel (checked witha range rod). Bullets I've used are the afore-mentioned Lee, an NEI 270-gr. Keith belonging to a neighbor, and a new LBT 280 WFN that Veral just cut for me. The alloy I'd like to use is wheelweight +1% added tin water quenched, but I've tried mixing 50% pure lead to soften this up, as well as air cooling. Bullets are sized 0.453" and lubed with LBT soft in a Star sizer. The load I'd like to use is 21.5-22 gr. WW296, and a lighter load of Unique/ Universal at 9.0 gr. or so. The load that doesn't lead is the Lee GC, WW quenched, 0.453". Anything else, softer alloy or lighter loads, sized smaller at 0.4525", still leaves a smear of lead visible under a bright light in the muzzle (but not lumps, and it is easily removed).

The puzzling thing to me is that the leading is occuring in the last 3-4" or so of bore, and is mostly in the LEADING edge of the rifling and on the top of the lands, although there is a little in the grooves. In other words, the lead seems to be in the area of the land/ groove juncture that should have the most "grip" on the bullet as the rifling tries to impart the spin. It is almost as if the bullet, once spinning, is stripping the rifling slightly in the direction of the rifling twist.

With all that said, might the very small constriction still present be causing these leading problems? I hate to lap much more, as I feel that I'm just prematurely wearing out my barrel. Would a different powder be less likely to lead? I think I have all the mechanics right on this gun, except for the very minor constriction, and am puzzled by this continued leading. I'd like to use the WFN mould exclusively for both light (~900 fps) and heavy (~1100 fps) loads, since it seems most potentially accurate. Any input would be most welcomed.

BTW- the new WFN mould casts and releases perfectly, just like all my other LBT moulds!

Many thanks! Regan

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Fire lapping, barrel constrictions, and leading
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:03:57 PM »
  You gave a beautiful discription of your problem.  Lap it some more.  The leading edges of the rifling are the culprit, because they are still rough.  In a handgun the rifling is working hard to spin the bullet up the speed it is gaining till the instant it exits the bore.  In other words, lets say the bullet is moving only 200 fps when it hits the forcing cone, and gains 900 fps from there to the muzzle for your 1100 fps load.  The twist is being applied steady and hard all the way.

If after 50 more lap shots, or even a hundred, you still get a trace of leading with the WFN, which I don't believe you will.  Keep a few of the Lee bullets on hand for cleaners.  Just one gc bullet will probably wipe any leading traces out.

The reason it takes so many lap rounds for Ruger stainless is something I don't understand, but it's hard to lap, and I don't believe you will not live long enough to wear it with your loads, even if you go another 100 years, which I hope you do.  Lapping till the gun shoots right is mandatory or the job isn't done.  When all the constriction is out I think you'll have it.  If you are using LBT push through slugs, you can easily push them through a .001 or .002 constriction with hand pressure.  When runnning them from muzzle backwards through the bore they should run snug about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. then without effort, as the properly lapped bore will be 'choke bored'.
Veral Smith