Author Topic: Safety, Safety, Safety  (Read 739 times)

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Safety, Safety, Safety
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »
I must open myself up to your criticism, which is fully deserved.  Today I inadvertenly set off a 243 round in my basement gunroom.  My son and I had been out shooting yesterday so I went down to clean up and while opening the action of my 99 Savage to check it;  I discharged it.  I have had guns and shot guns for 47 years and have always thought I operated in a safe manner.  Please believe me  IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one was hurt and very little damage as the bullet was a varmint splatterer.  Only dumb luck saved this fool though.   I really feel stupid.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: Safety, Safety, Safety
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:27:30 AM »
I must open myself up to your criticism, which is fully deserved.  Today I inadvertenly set off a 243 round in my basement gunroom.  My son and I had been out shooting yesterday so I went down to clean up and while opening the action of my 99 Savage to check it;  I discharged it.  I have had guns and shot guns for 47 years and have always thought I operated in a safe manner.  Please believe me  IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one was hurt and very little damage as the bullet was a varmint splatterer.  Only dumb luck saved this fool though.   I really feel stupid.

Everyone is prone to making a mistake once in a while. They used to tell me if I didn't make them at work, that I wasn't working. It's good to hear that no-one was hurt.  :D
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline nabob

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:00:50 AM »
Don't beat yourself up. It could happen to anyone.

Glad you are OK.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:22:47 AM »
YUP! Been there done that---and it does bring on a bit of thinking about what you are doing.
It is amazing it can happen.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 12:03:42 PM »
Don't be too hard on yourself. The muzzle was pointed in a safe direction and there was little harm done. That's a lot to be thankful for. Hopefully your ears are OK.

I've had a couple of negligent discharges myself. One at the range when I pulled the trigger on my 1911 before I was in the ready position and another time when I pulled the trigger on my shotgun in the field when I wanted to test whether the safety was on.

Pulling the trigger, I learned abruptly, was not the way to test the safety. It's rather like running your hand along a live wire to test for shorts.
Safety first

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:06:21 PM »
I am not knocking you Clodbuster, but it has always been my opinion that there is no such thing as an accident.  Most of what we consider as accidents are simply a situations caused because someone fail to do/or done something stupid.

That said, I too discharged a firearm in my house.  I had been to the range shooting the pistols, when I returned home I took my .357 out of the pistol box and was about to put her in her place on the shelve in my closet.  I was sure the gun was unloaded.  My wife was standing in the doorway to the bedroom I turned and snapped the gun while aimed at the floor, she almost bit my head off so I did it again.  This time there was a loud boom, the bullet hit the floor in the middle of the hallway, ricocheted and hit the base of the toilet.  As faith would have it, it was late Saturday afternoon, everything was closed, and in those days nothing was open on Sunday.  My wife, three kids and I used a five gallon bucket with a plastic bag liner until Monday afternoon when I could get away from work, get a replacement toilet and get it installed.

As I said, a stupid act, but I have tried since to ensure I check before leaving the range or field, check again when I take the gun out of the vehicle, and check again before it goes in the safe..  Today, as far as I am concerned, every gun is loaded until I look for myself.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 01:57:22 PM »
I've heard of folks shooting their TV's before but this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone shooting their crapper.  :o
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 03:32:05 PM »
You made me think about HOW something like this could happen to me....  I guess it's only a matter of time.

Now that deer season is here again, I realize I unload my gun (not one in the chamber, but not unloaded either) maybe only half the time.  This is PURE LAZINESS on my part, and an accident waiting to happen.  When friends want to look at my guns, I ALWAYS check to see if it's unloaded, because honestly, I DON'T KNOW.

Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad no one was hurt.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 03:45:23 PM »
It's not a mistake if you learn something, then it's a learning experience. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 01:06:18 AM »
Well now. I have been considering all of this and my mind wandered, mind wandering is the real culprit, to my driving---same thing, different projectile.
I wonder how many times we get away with letting our minds wander when we are driving? I have studied myownself, just recently, when I realized that I had entered a 4 way stop intersection, near my home, out of order ( pulled out when it was not my turn ). I was just asleep at the wheel, so to speak. I was lucky---just plain fortunate.
Folks, we need to be more aware of our surroundings wheather shooting or driving----well I guess, during life in general.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 01:42:38 AM »
  Lesson learned.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 01:53:26 AM »