Author Topic: Single Action vs. Double Action question  (Read 1178 times)

Offline jpsmith1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Single Action vs. Double Action question
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:41:37 AM »
Why are they built differently?  Why are the grip frames shaped differently is what I'm asking.  Could say a redhawk grip be easily installed on a blackhawk frame?  Assuming I had the tools and know-how.  What about vice-versa?

This has been bouncing around in my head and finally made it out.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Re: Single Action vs. Double Action question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 11:46:19 AM »
Both actions could be styled alike, separately or as they are. The single actions have the nostalgic appearance of the old Colts and that sells fine. The double action could easily be styled like that but why? You have to produce what sells if you want to be competitive in business. You can't reinvent the wheel. A Redhawk is an altogether different animal than the Blackhawk and has a stub for a grip where a Blackhawk has a complete skeleton frame. These are as different as night and day.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
As has been stated, the single action grip has history and nostalgia behind it.

Some people like one type of grip over the other. In general, people who like double action style grips seem to like the Bisley (Ruger) grip better than the old plowhandle style of single action grip.

It wouldn't be easy to fit a Redhawk grip frame to a single action gun. A talented gunsmith could make a gripframe that was shaped a lot like one, but it would cost a fair bit.

Try the Bisley grip frame, or resign yourself to using double actions.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:40:56 PM »
I have a Ruger Bisley and love the heck out of it.  Actually plan on taking it on a walk in the woods next week for elk.  I am one of the ones that you reference, though.  I started shooting a Ruger Security Six and a S&W 640.  I've shot the Blackhawk type grip in .357 mag and have never been very fond of the short, fat grip.  I can handle my Single Six pretty well, but I don't like the way that grip works under recoil.

I was just kind of wondering.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline shilo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:59:04 PM »
I like single action grips if they're shaped right. Most of them have an excessive amount of flare (width) at the bottom to suite me. One Ruger's Hunter models I would like to see them bring that model out with a grip stud like the SuperRedhawks so the same grips could be used.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:32:21 AM »
Yeah, I've wondered that too. Why doesn't somebody make a double action with a single action shape grip? People always say they like the single action grip. You'd think there would be examples of each action with each grip shape to target a wider audience. I guess there can be some geometric or mechanical issues, but by now those could have been worked out.

Come to think of it, some early Colt Thunder and Lightning, and some early remington cartrige police pistols had SAA looking grips, with DA mechanisms. Wonder why those big single action grips didn't stick around on DA revolvers?
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:00:49 PM »
the lack of a 'recoil shoulder' at the top of a single-action allows the revolver to roll backwards so far in the grip that the thumb can then readily be brought into play to cock the hammer for the next shot.    the lightweight structure of many of the older single-actions also was helped, i believe, by the action of the revolver rolling in the grip of the shooter.

the quick-fire capability of the double-action calls for a recoil shoulder so that this 'heavier-design' of a revolver can assist with getting the firearm back on target.   sure, we want a potentially greater volume of fire when we work with a double action, but we also want it to come back on target to make that volume useful.   i think that's part of the design parameter, since the weight of a double action helps absorb the recoil.

at least that's how i see it,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 02:51:03 AM »
I think it now comes down to tradition and lack of willingness to try something too radical. I think it would be cool to try a Ruger Blackhawk with the grip of a GP100. I also think it would be cool to try a Blackhawk hammer and action with a swing out cylinder and grip of a Super Redhawk.
Tom

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »
It took me many years, and many S&W 'N' frame guns to figure it out, but my hands just do not work with double action guns.  I have small hands and on anything bigger than a 'J' frame snub, I can't reach the trigger and maintain a good shooting grip.  I can't even manipulate a Glock and hold a proper shooting grip.  So it is mostly single actions for me.  They do have a wonderful feel in the hand that double actions don't have!  It just feels right to pull that big hammer back to shoot!  I'm sure Sam Colt never did any ergonomic studies but he sure did get it right!  44 Man 
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Questor

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »
I wonder whether that's why I prefer DA's. I've got very long hands.
Safety first

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 01:58:30 AM »
Remember than people were generally of a much smaller stature on average 125 years ago than today. That should partly account for the smallish grip frames - especially on the single actions

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 03:27:00 AM »
they make both so i can justify buying twice as many guns!
blue lives matter

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 06:16:23 AM »
The recoil of a single action hurts my elbow, as I have tendinitis. It's mostly the "twist" that a s/a has. My Super Redhawks , one in .480 and the other in.44 Rem mag, have an almost straight back and up recoil. The same for my Encore, which is a 30/06.
My Security Six recoil is almost negligible,and I have taken to loading my Blackhawk on the mild side.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 02:08:43 PM »
And ANOTHER thing.  Why in the name of heave do SA revolvers have to have the trigger guard SO CLOSE to the grips that one's knuckle on one's middle finger always takes a nasty rap whenever the gun is fired with anything but a minimum load?! >:(
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 11:22:21 AM »
So you have an excuse to run out and buy some PAST shooting gloves??? :o
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!