Author Topic: 357 MAX , reamer  (Read 1035 times)

Offline SHOOTER 72

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
357 MAX , reamer
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:00:58 PM »
does anyone have a 357 max reamer that they would like to rent . i have a barrel that i want to make a max out of . thanks

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: 357 MAX , reamer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 01:23:13 AM »

Leftover DJ had one a year or so ago, I used it, 15 minutes job.
 Lik2hunt had barrel dud last summer, I don't know whos reamer it was.
 P.M. those two , You might get one to use.  Marv,

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:17:57 AM »
Check your PM
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline jpsmith1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:17:02 AM »
How difficult of a job is this?  I am also interested in turning a .357 mag T/C barrel into a .357 Max.  What are rental fees?  What extra tools are needed beyond the reamer?  I'm a fair hand with tools and have done a few minor gun repairs before, but nothing that has removed metal.

Also, The barrel is a 10" octagon type barrel.  There appears to be more than enough metal.  Is there a problem with doing the conversion?

Thanks in advance.

Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »
I haven't done it, but the reamer can be rented from 4D. FWIW, my gunsmith charges just a tad more to do the work on a lathe than what it would cost me to rent the reamer including shipping, so I would have him do it, even the minor reaming of mag to max. But many here have done their own with a reamer that Leftoverdj passed around for a nominal charge to cover shipping and the original cost of the reamer.

Tim

http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Pistol+Calibers&PHPSESSID=5399f02f547698f05b409cfa36fcc2d2
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:33:32 AM »
I tried several times to get the reamer from DJ before I had mine done at the PD shoot, no luck. Apparently he has either lost it or it was never returned by the last user, whoever or whenever that was. I don't think the one that was used at the PD shoot would be available either, it was a die and not a reamer, so a gunsmith would have to use it and measure the chamber each turn or so until the right depth was attained.
BTW, I really haven't gotten to wring mine out yet to see how it really shoots, but it shows promise and is now a 100-150 yd. 35 cal vs. a 50-75 yd. 35 cal. I would do it again.
When we all did the 445 SuperMag rechamber a while back, a member actually purchased the reamer and rented to each member for a nominal fee. After a list of users was compiled then the reamer was purchased and each member passed it on the next after using it until all were done. The reamer was then returned to the owner after the last rechamber was done. It's a really easy job to do eeithr of these rechambers and can be done in a few minutes on a vise with some oil and a T-handle or wrench of the right size for the reamer.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:51:02 AM »
Try Precision Rifle works  357 to 357 max I think 45.00 plus shipping This is David White's web sight also does other barrel work
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:58:27 AM »
interesting,  I returned the reamer to DJ in January 2006, I never heard if it did or did not make it in the mail.  Or at least I dont remember getting a confirmation that it made it.  I PMd him asking for confirmation.  I do know I never was told it did not make it.   ???

It is an easy operation.  I think that if I do it to my 44mag (445sm) I may not even remove the extractor.

Offline SHOOTER 72

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 10:05:44 AM »
thanks for the info everyone .