Author Topic: Traditions Cannon  (Read 775 times)

Offline lightning

• Trade Count: (0)
Traditions Cannon
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »
I saw one of these used at a gun shop today, a .69 caliber nickel plated BP Napoleon by Traditions.  Not sure if I'm searching incorrectly but could not find any posts on it in the forum.  Does anyone have any experience with these little cannons?  Here is the link.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eShop/10Browse.asp?Category=Accessories%3ABlackpowder+Cannons

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Traditions Cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 01:20:11 PM »
"Traditions" took over "CVA's" line of traditional black powder guns. CVA now only makes modern muzzle-loaders (in-lines).

I don't know if CVA and Traditions are the same company or not.

When CVA made "traditional"  black powder guns, the basic structural quality was pretty good. They tended to lack the higher quality of workmanship that Thompson-Center offered in thier rifles and handguns. However, the price was substantially less as well. The result was a noticably cruder trigger and not quite as good a general workmanship fitting, but still at least a structurally sound gun.

I do have a .45 caliber CVA "naval cannon" and am quite happy with it. A lot of us here cut our cannon teeth on that very gun. "Traditions" decided to drop that particular model when they took over the traditional line from CVA, so there is no "Traditions" version to compare to quality-wise.

I don't have experience with guns produced under the new name, so I defer to others for more recent experience.

Offline jlimebrook

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »
I have one of these copies of a French, rather than American, Napoleon, from before they started plating them.  It has always been a fun gun.  I use 85 gr. BP topped off with a 14-ga. muzzleloading shotgun wad from Dixie Gun Works.  I have never fired a projectile from it, but it appears to be a pretty strong (forged?) barrel.  The miniature fittings are superbly made.

Last New Year's Eve I loaded and fused the gun, leaving it in my front yard while I went inside to kill the ten minutes remaining until midnight.  When I came out to fire it, it was gone.  I went "ballistic", to coin a phrase.  I had had that gun for years and it was like a friend of mine.  I drove around the neighborhood for an hour trying to catch the slimy bastard who took it, to no avail.  Once the anger subsided a little, there came the sobering thought that this numbnuts was probably going to blow off his own or someone else's head, and, California law being what it is, I would probably get sued and do time.

As luck would have it, the next day while canvassing the neighborhood and putting up "Lost Cannon" posters, I found it, unfired, stuffed into some bushes about sixty feet from my house. Needless to say, I was overjoyed.  I can only guess the guy lost his nerve, or maybe thought he would come back for it later.  In case the latter was true, I left him a note saying that I was watching him right now.

I love happy endings.

I found an exploded view of this gun at:

http://www.mek-schuetzen.de/Blueprints/Napoleon_Muzzle_Cannon_Spanish_bp.gif

Old Faithful is the medium-sized one in the middle.

the snake climbs skyward
sulfur smell; happy tension
released in a roar

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:30 PM »
jlimebrook -

Good lookin' collection!

(WELCOME to the board too!)

How about some action pix?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)