Author Topic: Using a ground blind in Midwest?  (Read 761 times)

Offline cherokee75

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Using a ground blind in Midwest?
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:50:14 AM »
I am considering mixing in a pop up ground blind during the firearm season this weekend in IL.  I won't be able to put it up until midday of the first day of the season so I was looking for thoughts and/or opinions on whether or not I should bother with it since I can't put it out earleir and let the deer get used to it.  I have read where whitetail will steer clear of a newly placed blind, even if it is covered with local foilage, just because it is a new "blob" to them in that area.  I figured since it is firearms season and my range is further than archery, the deer my skirt it a little but still be in range of my ML. Just looking for some input from anyone with first hand experience.

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Using a ground blind in Midwest?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:23:26 AM »
Deer are very aware of any changes in their "turf".  Sometimes, however, they act as attractants because of the deer's curiosity. I'd give it a try just to see.  Maybe if you backed it up against some buck brush or such so it wouldn't stand out so much as a blob..............?

That said, I've never used a ground blind. 

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 03:18:32 AM »
I've found that deer will smell it before they see it.  Set it up in the yard this week and give it a GOOD dusting with baking soda.  Then dust it off before you head out to the woods.

Unless you set it up in plain view (which isn't the best option normally), deer will be just as oblivious to it as you would be if you walked up on a blind you didn't know was there.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:27:45 AM »
The proliferation of ground blinds the last few years is a sure sign that a lot of us deer hunters are getting older.  I have some real comfortable tree stands but after two days in them this year it took several days for my back to return to normal.  Back when I first started deer hunting a nice white oak limb was all I needed.  Now the idea of a ground blind where I could sit in a lawn chair all day kind of appeals to me.  Let us know how it works out.  Do they come with shooting rails?
RJ

Offline Casull

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:59:53 AM »
Cherokee, don't forget that this year in Illinois they revised the regulations as they pertain to ground blinds.  You now must have at least 400 square inches of blaze orange material on the exterior of the blind.  The blaze orange must also be at the top of the blind and visible from 360 degrees.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 08:09:05 AM »
I have one portable ground blind that has a frame made with 3/4 pvc pipe. it has shooting rails at the windows covered in pipe rap. I also have two Ameristep blinds and they do not have shooting rails. I use a home made shooting stick in them. Not sure how your season goes but here in Lower Michigan when the hunter traffic starts opening morning the deer do move past portable blinds and are in such a hurry they never see them many times.

;D  Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 11:52:08 AM »
I had deer pass within 15 yds of my small teepee style popup blind. I situated it on the edge of a woods overlooking a field. One came up right behind me, couldn't get a shot. Another was a doe within 15 yds. Spooked when the material fluttered in the breeze though, that can be a problem.  Used hs scents earth wafers pinned onto the blind all around, seemed to help with cover scent. another time i didn't do that and got busted!  I haven't taken one from this blind yet, but I have confidence it will happen soon.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »
The blaze orange thing only applies on public land.  It isn't in the printed regs. book this year but you can find the new rule online at the DNR's web site.

I've never used a pop-up blind but I bet you will have better luck setting it up 50-70 yards from where you expect the deer to show up.  Ideally it should be set up well before season, just like tree stands, deer notice new things in their woods.  I wouldn't be surprised if young deer check it out but old deer will probably see it and walk the other direction.  Also if possible pile brush in front of it to help break up it's outline.

Offline Casull

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 01:44:01 PM »
SDS-GEN, you're right about the blaze orange only applying on public land.  Since I'm almost always hunting on public land, I had forgotten about that.  However, it is in my copy of the printed regs. book.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »

I use mine here in NE Kansas.  I don't like tree stands, dangerous, expensive and If I don't have any luck, I pack up and move.  I know that they keep the scent down, plus I saw an article in mag that gave directions on how to make scent killer,  I think it was 1 part Hydrogen peroxcide to 10 parts distilled water and some baking soda.  I also spray around blind with apple juice.  It has been successfull for me.