Author Topic: I am new to handis...  (Read 614 times)

Offline hunteraz

• Trade Count: (0)
I am new to handis...
« on: November 15, 2006, 05:34:46 PM »
I just ordered a stainless handi in the 22-250 bull barrel yesterday it will be here in about a week. I am very much anticipating its arrival because i have read alot about these rifles. I noticed something in the FAQ about breaking in the barrel...i thought give it a good good cleaning and shoot some then clean again is all that is needed....but what is this about JB paste??? what is that and what does it do??

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Re: I am new to handis...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »
Its for honing/polishing the barrel and rifling.  ...and for polishing the chamber to help keep fired casings from sticking.

Generally, you cant go wrong doing both.

...and, welcome to the club.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »
Some barrels aren't as smooth as others when they come from the factory, and a good polish like JB or Flitz paste really speed up the barrel break in time. Just take your time and use a steady hand.
Welcome abord  8)

-Aaron

Offline Cknerr

• Antique Rifle Restoration
hold up guys...
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:38:35 AM »
JB paste is for removing fouling. It isn't hard enough to do anything to your barrel. It will do a good job of cleaning though. If you want it to polish metal, there are too many other things that work better. JB won't actually remove metal, your mop or rag, steel wool, etc.  will do a better job by itself (nothing on it).

I use it in my Bench rest rifle. It is the only thing I use that looks like a paste and may effect that hand lapped inside. Liquid, patches, and nylon bristle brushes are the only other thing that gets near the inside of that $500 barrel!

If it is cool outside, stick it out in the sun. The black top heats up quickly and turns it back into a useable paste. It also tends to seperate, stir it up if it hasn't been used in awhile.

Good stuff for cleaning.

Chris
Chris K'nerr
Atlanta Woodwright's Studio, Inc.
Acworth, Ga. 30101
678-770-4274
678-574-5522 (h)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 05:30:51 AM »
Welcome aboard Hunteraz!! ;)  As stated in the FAQ and Help, JB non-embedding bore compound, Flitz, Maas, Simichrome, JB Bore Bright, USP paste and a host of other fine metal polishes will work great for cleaning and polishing the bore, none will harm the bore IF used with a good bore guide and care. I've polished every one of my 30+ barrels using one or the other of the above, the results will be obvious when a comparison is done with a dry patch before and after the cleaning and polishing. ;)

I took my .338-06 A-Square barrel back to my gunsmith to have him change the neck dimensions for the A-Square brass which wouldn't chamber. It was after I had polished the bore of his 6 groove cut rifling barrel he rebored for me. He was amazed at how nice the bore looked and asked what I had done to it, so even to a professional, the effects of polishing are noticable, I was glad my effort was appreciated cuz it doesn't happen without a little work spent on the barrel, but it will save you range time in break-in. ;)

Tim

http://www.varmintal.com/ashot.htm#Break

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1160

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1161&title=J-B%7e+BORE+BRIGHT
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hunteraz

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
Wow thanks for all the help guys and so fast too this forum is AWESOME!!! i think i have a better understanding of that method and yes i will do it when my handi arrives.. but some more questions still... Since it is a polish does it clean as well? or just prevent??? and also should i clean the barrel before i polish it?? or after?? and will the cleaning solvents remove the polish?? how long after i do this should i start shooting??  sorry for so many questions but you guys know what you are talking about and i just cant wait til it arrives!!!! :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:14 PM »
The use of the metal polishes smoothes the bore just as shooting it does, there is no protective layer left as would be if you "polish" your car's finish. I would clean it good, inside and out before doing the bore polishing or lapping as it's referred to in the FAQ. Then you'll need to clean it again to remove the metal polish residue, which ever you decide to use. As Varmint Al mentions, don't keep working the bore in hopes of getting a clean patch, the patches will continue to be black forever!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain