Author Topic: 243 range day  (Read 763 times)

Offline jigmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
243 range day
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:26:56 PM »
Hello fellas...I am a long time reader and decided to post on occasion to you guys who have provided so much information to me.

I own a .44 handi, .223 with bull barrel and just aquired what looks like a new but second hand .243 handi, all with wood stocks.

I had a new Mueller 4.5x14 APV scope laying idle so I decided it needed to live on the .243 as my coyote/light whitetale rifle here in East Texas. 

As this board suggests, I took time and cleaned the heck out of it and used JB paste for about 100 strokes as well.  I read the tips on "trigger work" but decided that it was close to good and llikely would "get there" if shot occasionally.
I removed the furniture and spray painted these wooden parts with what Rust-oleum calls their mulit-colored textur and allowed 24 hours to dry. I forgot to mention that I removed some wood at the front of the fore end to make a more rounded look and also tapered the stocks where they meet the action, so there is a more fitted look. Next I sprayed all metal parts with Rust-oleum flat black cammo and waited 24 hours and added a second coat of the same.  All of this of course was done after tapeing off the parts needing protection.  Once all the parts were dry, the next step was to put the o-ring on the forend, as your posts suggest, and  then assembled.  I went to the back yard and collected a couple of carpet grass samples to use for making the patern with the next paint.  Again I used Rust-oleum but in the flat nonreflective cammo green.  Two weeks later with some handling,there is no sign of a scratch in this paint work and I am well pleased.

Today a friend and I drove to a local range where I bore sighted and sighted in for 100 yards to start.  One of the many Handi positives is the easy bore sighting that can be accomplished with a sand bag and a 25 yard+- target.  I had no .243 brass to load myself so I had gathered some Federal 100 grain Vital Shock rounds that worked well in the end.  After about 10 rounds I was only getting a 3-4 inch group.  I removed the o-ring looking for a solution and that did not seam to make a difference either.  I cleaned the bore and shot another 5 and cleaned again.  The groups were now comming together at about an unmeasured inch.  I suspect that as the trigger improves and the bore gets some of the irregularities smothed out I will have one bargain coyote shootin iron,  I am a happy camper.   My inexpensive second hand handi and $100 scope shot every bit as good as my partner's $1,000+ 25-06 which did not have this o-so-cool cammo job.  I will attempt to attach photos once the computer child comes home.

As a side note, this is my first Mueller scope and it has impressed me so far.  I have had scopes at five times the price that did not please me as much.

Thanks to all you guys who lead the way on this forum!                   

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
Re: 243 range day
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the post, I should be receiving my handi 243 this Friday. So needless to say I'm much interested in what other say about it in that caliber. I won't get to shoot it for at least a month, but I will clean out the bore well and shoot a bunch of rounds though it. My friend 30-06 took about a 100 round before it calmed down and then It shot pretty darn good for a $200 rifle. His 223 shot great right from the box. So I guess every rifle is different, I'll see how the 243 shoots. It will be my first rifle in that caliber so it should be fun!

Offline songdog

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:47:04 AM »
I have the .243 bull barrel ultra and it is MEAN.  I hand load so I can get three on a dime at 100yds if I lay off the coffee that morning.  My handloads are 58gr v-max, cci primers, Remington brass and 45 grains of Varget.  The ultra eats 'em up.  Yotes and P-Dogs hate them.  I also have great luck with the Nosler 55gr BT with H380 powder, but Noslers are more expensive and the difference on the range is marginal with my ultra. 

Offline jigmaster

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 07:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the handload info Gustmouse.  I will roll some of your coyote pellets for myself and give them a try. 
Songdog, I have taken many/many whitetail with a .243 in an old Remmington 600 when I was a youth.  I only remember one animal that required two shots and that was my fault.  Have confidence in the round.  I have yet to shoot or handle an ultra so that is high on my list. I could easly find a place for a .280 and a .22-.250.   Thanks for the conversation, Jigmanster 

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 07:59:54 AM »
i use 33.5 grains of Varget with a 95-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for larger stuff (have not gotten a chance yet though) and a 60-grain Sierra hollowpoint with 40.5 grains of Varget for a 3700 fps groundhog vaporizer...that one does things that can just be referred to as gross. lol

Maybe try those out.

Anyone else seem to find Varget to be damn near a perfect fit for small bores? My two .204's loved it, my .223, and my cousin's .22-250 and my .243 love it as well.

I just keep coming back to it.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline jigmaster

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 09:30:56 AM »
I have never used Varget, is there any particular catagory number or do I just look for Varget?

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 09:50:51 AM »

Hello Jigmaster  Just look foe Var get Marv.

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 10:12:31 AM »
 VARGET™ The first of Hodgdon's revolutionary Extreme Extruded Powders, VARGET features small extruded grains for uniform metering, insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures and higher energy for improved velocities over other powders in its burning speed class. Easy ignition and clean burning characterize other features that translate into superb accuracy, higher scores and more clean, one shot kills. Outstanding performance and velocity can be obtained in such popular cartridges as the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 375 H&H and many more.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 10:24:56 AM »
Varget is a Hodgdon powder, here's their .243 load data.

Tim

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/243win.php

VARGET™ The first of Hodgdon's revolutionary Extreme Extruded Powders, VARGET features small extruded grains for uniform metering, insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures and higher energy for improved velocities over other powders in its burning speed class. Easy ignition and clean burning characterize other features that translate into superb accuracy, higher scores and more clean, one shot kills. Outstanding performance and velocity can be obtained in such popular cartridges as the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 375 H&H and many more. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page4.php

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 06:32:43 AM »
varget is my powder of choise in my 243

one thing you might want to remember is with these small ass coyotes here in texas a big bullet out of a 243 will blow them in half
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »
I loaded some 55 and 95 gr ct bt awhile back with varget. Only got to shoot 50yds but it looks like I will be sticking with my fusion for deer and the 55gr for yotes though not perfect I was quiet happy with them and I bet they shoot better than I do. Back to the loading bench.