Author Topic: Loading data for Wildcat rounds  (Read 990 times)

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Loading data for Wildcat rounds
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:47:19 AM »
Does anyone know of any web pages that has alot of loading data for wildcat rounds. I konw that any data for wildcat is suspect, but it does give you a place to start. I`ve done alot of surffing and have several pages that have some data, but none dedicated to Wildcatting and none with much. Right now I loading for 2 - .17 cal. wildcats, 2 - .25 cal`s and a .411, but I have a .22 cal. comming and have very little loading for it. I spent several hours to find it, but think that some where there should be a site for nuts like me.  ???

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
Re: Loading data for Wildcat rounds
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:42:17 AM »
Your best bet is asking around, which calibers do you need data on?
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
What I`m gearing up for now is a .22 - 6mm., but who knows what I`ll be playing with in another year that`s why I`d like to find a web page for guy who like to play with strange things. I can pretty well tell by the case size and the bullet dia. about what burn rate the powder should and by starting low and working up I can get to where I need to be, but it takes more time and more powder and bullets, ie money, to get a gun shooting the way you want.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »
Well, that is why I say ask around, a bunch of us have built up data over the years and have shelves of books on various loads and ballistics. Which 22-6mm do you need data for, I likely have it on the shelf. If I even had the time to sleep I'd get to work a bit faster on the sub-caliber page, right now it is under destruction. I plan to begin with an overview of the various subs and post general data and if more specific data is needed then folks can shoot me an e-mail so we can talk a bit and see what they are trying to do. I'm still shaking my head over the fella' that wanted us to work up a load for the 22-.300 R.U.M., not the little short WSM, but the full on Ultra Mag case. He basicly wanted to lob a hunk of "who cares" as fast as possible to wow and amaze his friends. Not a target shooter, not a hunter to speak of, "...I'll use my .30-30 for the deer, this is just to play with", not a varmint hunter. Each to his own I guess.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:25:19 AM »

reed, I`m not sure about what his reamer is, I am haveing it made with a reamer that he has done several with already and expect to get some data when I get the gun. Any data I get will be compaired to what I get from Fred and I will start loading down 15 to 20 % from that and work up. One nice thing ablout this round is I don`t have to work up 1/10 of a gn. at a time like you do with a .17 AH. I love that little round, but the presure spikes really fast with it. At present I`ve got a starting place for H-870 and Reloader 22 and several powders with lite bullets, but don`t plan to shot any lite bullets. If you find some data with 80 gn. bullets I would appreate it if you send it to me, tnx. for your help so far.

Offline PaulS

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 10:18:54 PM »
When you pull information to load wildcats off the web you want to start with loads that are at least 15% below listed maximums. The one, most touted reloading site, that I know of has loads for commercial rounds that exceed published data by a long ways. I can only imagine what the wildcat loads are loaded to.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:09:43 AM »
When you pull information to load wildcats off the web you want to start with loads that are at least 15% below listed maximums. The one, most touted reloading site, that I know of has loads for commercial rounds that exceed published data by a long ways. I can only imagine what the wildcat loads are loaded to.

Paul makes a good point. But, I think when it comes to wildcats I'd stay away from the websites. Factory cartridges and common wildcats can be verified and cross refrenced in published manuels. When it comes to oddball stuff you will be way, way ahead to enlist help from an expert. Most bullet manufacturers and powder companies are just a phone call away and will provide you with reams of data on request.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Catfish

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:21:47 PM »
When I start laying with a new round that I can find no data on I start compairing case volume of the round to other rounds of the same cal. and as close to the same volume as I can find. I then load slow for the round powders first to keep a nearly full case and work from there. So far, at least, I`ve alway started down 25 to 30% on max. load. Takes awhile to work them up that way, but I`d reather due that than start to high.  :'(