Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 706 times)

Offline shaunnj007

• Trade Count: (0)
What would you do?
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:04:51 PM »
I purchased a H&R 12 gauge Tracker II last year when i got back from Iraq. I took it to the range and was like holy$#*$ when I shot it this things kicked more then my .50 cal sniper rifle. So this year i went and baught the USH 20 gauge after long hard hours of doing research and am very happy so far. But what should I do with the tracker II???? I have so many boxs of slugs for it and dont know if I should keep it in the gun cabinet or just go get the 12 gauge USH. What would you do? 

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:02:53 AM »
I think it depends on what your overall attitude is toward the 12ga Tracker II!   Does the possibility exist that  you make go back to it later?
 If you think you will never shoot it again, then rather than hang onto it, sell it to someone who will use it! As to the ammo,  you could list it for sale, here or on an auction site.....it is legal to ship personal use ammo via UPS ground IF the pkg  is properly labelled.

I went the opposite direction....I had an H&R USH in 12ga. I got one deer with it, but decided that it was too heavy for me for other than stand hunting. A lot of what I have found myself doing is "still hunting" or stalking through heavy cover, especially on those windy Nov-Dec. days. So...I went to the Tracker II.....

I also found the recoil to be astounding. I did 3 things: 1.  I had the barrel ported  to reduce muzzle jump, and keep the forend in my hand; 2.  I added a mercury recoil reducer to the stock; 3. I found a 2 3/4" 1oz. sabot slug that is quite accurate out to 100yds, has plenty of knockdown power, yet is tolerable to shoot more than 5 rounds at the range with modifications #1 & 2.

Every once in a while, I find myself wishing I still had a gun that I sold, and sometimes wind up buying another one!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:50:28 AM »
Get a Limbsaver recoil pad, they make a world of difference. The mercury recoil reducers help but they change the balance of the gun. You had better wear hearing protection if if port the barrel they are loud.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:16:24 PM »
Someone once posted here of another solution.  They put a youth stock with recoil pad on then put a slip-on Limbsaver on.  Kept the LOP at or about adult length and helped with the recoil.  Maybe they will see this and post about that again.
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:43:37 PM »

try taking off the but plate and filling the cavity there with lead shot. Adding weight will reduce the felt recoil. If that seems to be a start, you could enlarge the cavity so it will hold more weight. You could also make a space for more shot under the front forearm. That along with a slip on recoil pad should be a start.

Rusty <><

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline shaunnj007

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:14:41 PM »
I did that already still no luck. Ive thought about getting it ported but does the 12g USH really have alot less recoil then the traker II?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 06:43:16 AM »
some one smarter than I should help this guy out and tell him how to calculate felt recoil. I haven't shot a USH but I can tell you that I have an old ported topper deluxe slug gun and the porting has a noticeable effect. A lot of USH shooters report the recoil is not that bad. The extra weight should make a big difference.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 06:56:25 AM »
I am sometimes at a loss trying to understand these posts about objectional recoil from hunting guns, you usually only fire them once and at the most twice at game in the woods, and on those occasions I can not ever remember any recoil. These Tracker I's and II's are hunting guns, nor bench rest guns to shoot hundreds of rounds through at a time. I use my Tracker I' s in both 12 and 20 gauge but prefer my 12 and there is no recoild problem when hunting. I also use my 12 gauge H&R/NEF with a 24" Turkey barrel with a screw in choke tube in either Modified or Improved cylinder. I have had it drilled and tapped and a scope rail added. It  usually has a Red Dot mounted but is currently wearing a 2.5X shotgun scope. I shoot it with Brenneke 2 3/4" MP slugs but will soon try some Buckhammers. The recoil has never struck me as bad with the 2 3/4" slugs and I have never found the need for 3" slugs....<><... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley