Author Topic: pop open question  (Read 599 times)

Offline jb22-250

• Trade Count: (0)
pop open question
« on: November 25, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
Today I took my 22-250 ultra out to try out some new loads, the gun would pop open, but not on every shot,maybee 1 out of 8 and it did not matter if I was using light or heavy loads.  I read the FAQ about pop open medicine, but my gun is locking up tight, and I do not notice any oil on the latch or barrel, I also resized all my brass before reloading.  My groups are still under a inch at 100 yards, and the gun is hitting 2-liter bottles at 300+ yards. Is there any thing else I can check myself, or look for to fix this?

Thank you for helping a new H&R owner.  by the way, My buddy was with me today with his Encore with his new 22-250 barrel his best group was 1-1/2 at 100 yards, and I had to spot his shots to get him on the water bottles, but it did not pop open :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: pop open question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »
Read the latch engagement part of the  barrel fitting instructions in the FAQ, that will give you an idea of what to look for. Also, make sure your sized brass or loaded round is flush with the the chamber mouth and not sticking out, or it will keep the barrel from locking up completely.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline toyfj40

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »
I'm new to ReLoading and am finding how sensitive this is...
I (appearantly) pressured a few cases just a tad-too-much
and they sat in the chamber just a little below flush...
and I got  Light-FiringPin-Strikes... NO-ignition...
and had a couple.. .just-barely  "proud".. and it would not latch...
(this was on my  .308-bull-barrel)... 

I'mma-gonna hafta learn where that  'sweet spot' is with that  Sizer-Die..
   ;)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 06:59:41 PM »
That sweet spot  on the resizing die is al the way to the shell holder, if that doesn't work the you need to look at the rifle.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline jb22-250

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 06:55:23 AM »
I smoked the latch on the barrel and found that only about 1/32 was catching. I honed the latch untill now I have 1/8.  I need to go out to shoot it to see if this fixed it.  I noticed while doing this that there is a very slight amount of up, and down play between the barrel and the action when I lift up or press down on the barrel, is this normal?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 07:08:56 AM »
If that movement was after you honed it, you may have honed too much, the barrel should lock up tight with no movement. Although I have never needed to do it, you can peen the rear of the latch shelf to tighten the lock up some. That info is on Fred's web site.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 05:50:48 PM »
hello...i am learning as i go...one thing i did recently was buy a set of stoney point head space guage's...i'm sure there may be better option's out there ?? what i do is get a measurement off new brass & compare against fired brass...i am learning to play with the die's so i can push the shoulder back a few thousandth's from fired brass...the point i'm learning is if you drop a piece of brass into your barrel/chamber is that to check to see if it doesn't stick out to far or drop in to far...i think a guy need's to measure the shoulder of his brass to know where he's at ?? if i'm off base i would appreciate any thought's.... comment's...good luck!!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 07:25:43 PM »
hello...i am learning as i go...one thing i did recently was buy a set of stoney point head space guage's...i'm sure there may be better option's out there ?? what i do is get a measurement off new brass & compare against fired brass...i am learning to play with the die's so i can push the shoulder back a few thousandth's from fired brass...the point i'm learning is if you drop a piece of brass into your barrel/chamber is that to check to see if it doesn't stick out to far or drop in to far...i think a guy need's to measure the shoulder of his brass to know where he's at ?? if i'm off base i would appreciate any thought's.... comment's...good luck!!!

Dave you right on with it...You have to find what works best in each rifle...I set mine up to match the frame barrel gap...The gap on mine are .0015" & .001"...this is what I set my dies too on the second firing of new brass or factory loads...and can get4-5 firings before having to bump the shoulders back...I also check each round to make sure it isn't below flush with the chamber mouth...and sort new ammo this way too...Each round is indexed with a mark to a mark on the barrel...this way it is put back in exactly the same each time...Any that is below flush...never gets hunted with...or shot for groups...never...It does make a big difference in my groups...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...