Author Topic: Prairie Dog Hunts  (Read 2031 times)

Offline panhandle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
Prairie Dog Hunts
« on: November 26, 2006, 12:12:53 PM »
Can anyone possible help me find any areas that may have some decent squirrel & p-dog hunting?  I've gone to Miles City a few times and i'ts been a great time but would like to find something closer to Post Falls, Idaho as Miles City is a 12 hour drive and I'm getting to old for those marathon runs.  Any ideas of who I could contact or who may be of help?

Panhandlepr

Offline Lug

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »
It has been a while but your best bet for p dogs closer to post falls would be around great falls.  As a kid I shot alot of ground squirrels (gophers) around plains, helena, and bozeman mt areas.  Usually don't find the big fat p dogs west of the mountains.  Might be some p dogs down around dillion, but I haven't noticed any while passing thru.
Justin

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 07:09:20 PM »
I would call FWP @ Montana FWP Headquarters Front Desk (406) 444-2535 and request a list of their Block Management areas around Great Falls, Helena etc, just to see if those ranchers that do block management during the general hunting season for deer, elk etc will also allow you to prairie dog shoot.  Most if not all ranchers and farmers that have pesty prairie dogs love people to help them out.

Offline panhandle

• Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 07:29:45 AM »
Thanks Guys,
    That looks like a great place to start looking.  The ranch we hunted in Miles city area was also part of the block management program and I didn't give that a thought.  I'll give them a call.  Thanks again.

Panhandlepr