Author Topic: 20ga Tracker II bbl questions  (Read 924 times)

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
20ga Tracker II bbl questions
« on: November 26, 2006, 11:06:42 AM »
Right now I have the 24" ML bbl on mu SB1 frame with synthetic buttstock and forend. Absolutely love it. After the season I plan on sending it in to get a 20ga Tracker II bbl fitted. I think this would be a nice set-up for still hunting in rough, steep areas due to the low weight. I have a couple questions though:

1. Is the dia of the 20ga barrel at the straight chamber area the same as the 20ga USH?
2. If so, will NEF, if you ask them nicely, drill and tap for the scope rail? It would be nice to use the Burris compact 4x in QD rings from the ML bbl.
3. Can I get a synthetic forearm for the 20ga Tracker II bbl?
4. I would expect decent accuracy potential from this bbl since it has thicker walls than the 12ga.
5. Will NEF tune the trigger down to 3.5 from 4.5 lbs?

I appreciate any help or comments from people who may have done this.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 20ga Tracker II bbl questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 01:09:08 PM »
usherj

1 the Tracker 2 is smaller thah the USH , the same size as the standard 20 ga. barrels only with micro-groove rifling

2 I dout that they will D&T a standard shotgun barrel , but you may be able to find a smith to do it for you

3 The standard forarm from a shotgun will fit

4 From what i have herd , they shoot very well

5 It depends on what the pull is now but they should do it to about 3 1/2
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 01:51:54 PM »
I called C/S a couple weeks ago with some questions.  They said they WOULD NOT D&T a standard 20ga barrel.  You might think about having the 22" youth USH barrel fitted.  That comes with a scope base and would fit your frame.  Just a thought.  Would be a little lighter than the standard 24" 20ga USH

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 02:20:30 PM »
Cookieman, what an outstanding idea!!! I did not even know they made a 22" 20 gauge USDH youth barrel that comes with a scope rail. Do you know if it can be purchased as an accessory barrel? It would could be fit on a 12 gauge frame correct?  It really sounds like the way to go if you wanted a rifled shotgun slug barrel....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gimphunter

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 02:31:21 PM »
I believe that all the standard 12 and 20 gauge barrels are from the same blank. (The USH 12 gauge barrel is a 10 gauge blank.) So the chamber wall thickness is the same in the 20 gauge Tracker II and USH barrels. I don't know why H&R won't drill and tap the 20 gauge Tracker II. I had mine done with no problems, as have many others. I took a doe at 100 yards and a spike at 10 yards with it on my first hunt with it a few days ago. Neither took a step; both were DRT. I used the 3" Federal Barnes Expanders. On the spike, I saw the Barnes slug kick dust 75 yards past the deer.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 02:40:41 PM »
Part #920, $96, comes with a hammer spur and scope rail.  I'm thinkin' real hard about one of those for next year.  Then maybe modify the Tracker I with BC style sights.  Just tryin' to decide if I wanna get the whole Youth USH or just the barrel.  Savings would only be about the price of a receiver.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:04:00 AM »
Cookieman, since you have some time I suggest saving your pocket change until then and buying the complete gun, there is always a worthwhile project waiting for any pieces left over, or you could sell them through this forum, perhaps some of them to me!!!....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mogwai

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 06:26:37 AM »
Part #920, $96, comes with a hammer spur and scope rail.  I'm thinkin' real hard about one of those for next year.  Then maybe modify the Tracker I with BC style sights.  Just tryin' to decide if I wanna get the whole Youth USH or just the barrel.  Savings would only be about the price of a receiver.

cookiemann
I bought a youth USH this weekend at Gander MT & added a slip on Uncle Mikes recoil pad.  Handles great and the extra padding makes recoil more managable for my bad shoulder

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 12:18:31 PM »
Which model did you get?  Was it the Youth or Standard?  That's where I have been watching them.  They always seem to have one of each in stock.  Good Choice.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline mogwai

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 03:34:22 AM »
Which model did you get?  Was it the Youth or Standard?  That's where I have been watching them.  They always seem to have one of each in stock.  Good Choice.

cookie

Youth model.  I think I prefer the 22" barrel.