Author Topic: Sandblasting a revolver?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline hunting1bob

• Trade Count: (0)
Sandblasting a revolver?
« on: November 19, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »
I like the look of the satin stainless guns, and I am thinking of sandblasting my 686 . I was wondering if anyone has done this to their revolvers and if I may run into any problems.  If I sandblast it will it show holster rubbing more than if I just leave it alone?

Offline 4MUL8R

• Avid Poster
Re: Sandblasting a revolver?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:40:40 PM »
Ford's Gun Refinishing would be my choice to do this.  He has the correct media to create any desired finish.

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »
you may lose some of the printing if it is acid etched. you holster will polish it at contact points. you wil get the ring mark back on the cyl.  shood look good for a while. thought about it myself but haven't tried it.

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 04:43:56 AM »
A friend of mine had that done. It looks really sharp.
The media that was used was glassbead it is much finer than sand.

Ron

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 07:15:26 AM »
hasn't it been in print somewhere that lemon juice will take the lustre off of stainless steel?   i think there's people who've done it to get a nice effect.

it's worth a try considering the expense.

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 09:45:26 AM »
We have a glass-bead tank here at work.  I have done several of my gun myself.  Not a problem, just start with the air pressure fairly low until you see what the effect is, then you can turn it up a little if desired.  I have also done it to shiny silver scopes.  Just tape off the parts you do not want to be blasted and have at it.  You can get a nice effect if you get some car pinstriping tape and tape a couple of nice rings around the cylinder and barrel.  These will show up as bright shiny rings after the rest of the gun is a soft satin from the blasting.  It looks good and is not difficult to do.  Leave the screws shiney, hammer and trigger also.  Mag-na-port did this Freedom Arms for me, but you can see the nice effect it has with the rings on the cylinder, ejector housing, and barrel.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!