Author Topic: Uberti -v- Pietta (1858 Remy)  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Truffle

• Trade Count: (0)
Uberti -v- Pietta (1858 Remy)
« on: December 06, 2006, 06:57:26 AM »
Hi all,
First post on here. I'm in the UK...

Just wondering how you search on here, as I am looking for a thread entitled "New" Piettas, but can't get there - just keep going round in circles.

Failing that, what is the favoured brand nowadays? I have the chance to purchase either, but in the UK getting it right first time is more of a big deal due to the regs.

Thanks! ;)

Truffle
- Whoa! That is one crazy get-up, mister. Are you in the show?

- No, actually, I'm English.

Offline mg66

• Contributor
    • Bow and Gun Hunting Illinois
Re: Uberti -v- Pietta (1858 Remy)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:09:51 PM »
I only have Uberti's. From what I have read on several forums the quality is very similar with possibly the Ubertis being slightly better. My Uberti Colt 1860 and Remington New Army were both excellently finished straight out the box and have functioned flawlessly.

I have some pictures of both in high res at: http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=1860 and/or http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=1858
mg66 - "every deer you legally take with a bow is a trophy"

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
I know from the two Colt replicas that I had, the Ubertis are better, stronger steel, fit and finish are superior.  The Pietta Remington is tempting, cheaper too.  But, I just sold off my Pietta 1860 Colt at a local gunshow yesterday and only got half of what I paid for it after only having it a year.  The gun shot really well, but the mechanics were lousy.

At this point I would prefer an Uberti 1858 Rem. and another 1860 Colt, but Uberti. My Uberti 1851 Colt had problems though, loose loader rod holder on the barrel, good glue fixed that.  And the tolerances of the wedge-to-cylinder rod are tight, takes a technicque to put the gun back together.  Otherwise the 1851 is a keeper.   

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:36:50 PM »
Personaly I like the Pietta 58 Remington better than the Uberti.  That said I've had less trouble out of the Ubertis than my piettas.  The reason I like the Pietta Remmy better is it's a bit bigger and I've got big hands.  It shoots closer to point of aim for me than the Uberti.  That said if it was a colt clone I'd wouldn't have anything but Uberti.  The downside of the pietta 58, at least mine, is that I had to do a trigger job out of the box.  Nothing a few minits with a file couldn't fix, but the file cut the trigger too easy and I'll have to Kasenit the sear before long.  Other than that and the finish is not quite to Uberti standards it's an excellent gun.  I got the 5.5" BTW.  When I harden the sear on the hammer I may slim the trigger down to something like a colts while I'm at it.

All that said, unless you've got meathooks the size of mine, I'd go for the Uberti, Every cap gun I've had I've had to work on, but I've had a lot less trouble out of my Ubertis by and large.  Several only needed new Tresso nipples to run perfect.  Then again it wasn't that long ago I got a 60' Richard Mason conversion with a 44 colt cylinder and a 45 colt barrel, so in the end it's a crap shoot.  Best is to buy from a reliable dealer that has good customere service.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com