Author Topic: Cheaper Deer Round Needed  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
why
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 07:53:22 PM »
Never shoot a deer outside of 50 yards? Now that is silly!

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: Cheaper Deer Round Needed
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2006, 01:39:29 AM »
#2 Krochus....Do you EVER read the posts on GBO about Wolf ammo?  The Wolf ammo DOES cycle in most semi's because it dosen't have  .25 of a second to harden in the chamber like it used to do in Contenders and NEF's single shots.  This is COMMON KNOWLEDGE on this forum.

I guess my CZ527 in 7.62x39 doesn't read GBO either as I've fired hunderds of wolf and other imported rounds over the past couple of years  and have had no experiance whatsoever with what you describe. I have had a Moisin Nagant ot two that have had problems with sticky bolts, But five minutes with some FLITZ cured those issues right up.

Offline Pecci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2006, 11:06:04 AM »
Boy, look what I've started. --- My thanks to Krochus, Robert, and the rest of you.  I believe the 7.62x39 is more than enough.  I'll be trying to find the soft point rounds, to use.  Word is that the hollows are inconsistant with their performance.  Anyone with any info on this? --- Anyway I'm already in the process of scoping my 527.  I already have 4 boxes of hps. and Krochus, I take your advice and start having fun with this rifle.  By deer season, I'll be very comfortable and confident, with it.  You only live once, so what am I waiting for?

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »
 There ya go! Be certian to give us a range report in the CZ forum above.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2006, 02:52:37 PM »
You will regret selling your 6mm, its a smokin deer round!!!

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2006, 06:30:20 PM »
Since I already had the 7.62, I really don't have to sell it.  There's nothing wrong with having 2 deer rifles.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »
Pecci, Now your talking. Keep them both! Thats my kind of thinking. Problem solved.  ;D

Now what kind of scope will you get? Byron

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 02:42:30 PM »
Why not practice with a good quality rimfire?  The ammo is cheap, low-noise, and accurate.  These practice sessions can extend shooting sessions and hone your shooting ability.  Buy a few boxes of hunting ammo and you won't have to burn up a ton of ammo in practice.  Just shoot it enough so that you know how it is shooting, then hunt!  Very few of us can afford regular shootiing with hunting ammo.  also, as mentioned above, buying a rifle in a common calibers helps as well.  I know that my wife gets crazy when I spend the afternoon burning up factory fodder for my .300 Weatherby.  Get an accurate .22 and your shooting will be better for it.

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 07:06:43 PM »
Not that I REALLY want to get tangled in the argument but...

The 7.62x39 is just as good as the 30-30--a round which is suggested an age old brush gun for white-tails, and even black bear. Don't believe me? Google it--you'll find several articles of both the 30-30 and x39 harvesting average size continental US black bears.

True, it is harder to find heavy weight bullets for the x39...but they are out there...and available for $79 per 500 rds. I'm sitting on a full case of 154gr "Match" grade SP's, and 2 more cases of 123gr HP's I used primarily for yote's.

If you look at the ballistics, the x39 is actually a superior round beyond 100 yards...mostly due to the flat nose of the typical 30-30 bullet. Yes, there are lever-evolution rounds now...but don't think it's going to turn your 30-30 into a 200-300 yard rifle...!

Yes, wolf, barnaul (brown bear/silver bear), and most other x39's are lacquer coated...but generally do not cause any issues with gumming up/stock cases--unless you neglect to clean your chamber during your regular cleaning ritual.
Yes too, many of these rounds have "corrosive salts" in the primers...not a big deal on commonly found chrome bores, nor is it a big deal if you CLEAN YOUR RIFLE after you shoot...I've never had a bore pit due to corrosive primers--and I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo.

The x39 is more than adequate for white tails. If you don't believe me, visit www.sksboards.com and talk with all the avid SKS collectors about the dozens of deer harvested with their favorite little cartridge...I wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger on any deer inside 100 yds with mine!

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2006, 05:55:29 AM »
For now Bryon, I'll just go with a Simmons 3x9x32.  To me 40's are to big for this rifle, and I want to stay away from high rings.  It's walnut is gold w/very dark tiger stripes.  I want it to look good.

Midway is saying that more wolf should be in anytime.  We'll see! ::)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2006, 09:42:58 AM »
Pecci, Try www.outdoor-source.com for wolf. I bought some from them for my 223 a while back. They also carry Seller&Bellet at atractive prices. They are in Alabama. Byron Fixed the link if you tried it and it didn't work. Try it now.  ::)
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
he he he good read Robert...And I thought you could only kill a deer with a 300 weathrby magnum...I really enjoyed and thought the best Idea came from the person that said, buy a box of ammo from the gun store...see how it shoots.if good, order a case.I know a lot of folks that do not reload and do that..just git a couple army ammo cans and camo them and store the ammo in them...and that 7.62x39 should take down a deer like it got struck by a big ole bolt of lightnin..as for a recomendation to what you should now buy..what ever you are comfortable with and shoot well with in the laws of the state you are hunting in.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
I realize that some of you are hesitant about the laquer on the wolf casings.  I have never shot it before and don't know, but if it can be a legitiment problem in some guns, can't the laquer be taken off with thinner or something similar and then wiped of w/ alcohol?    ???

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 03:41:37 AM »
I realize that some of you are hesitant about the laquer on the wolf casings.  I have never shot it before and don't know, but if it can be a legitiment problem in some guns, can't the laquer be taken off with thinner or something similar and then wiped of w/ alcohol?    ???

Except for the new Military Classic line of ammo Wolf hasn't used laquer in probably 3 years now they use a polymer coating instead :o

And even them I'm skeptical about it causing any problems in a bolt gun. I've shot buckets of it in my CZ527 and even more of it in my Moisin Nagants.
 In my opinion comparing a problem that a break open single shot has to a bolt action rifle is like comparing a A Buick to a Toaster.

Heck I'm about to head out the door to shoot some laquered steel cased 30-06 in my savage 110

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2006, 08:35:07 AM »
I hope you have a shooten good time out there, Krochus.

I have heard that their use of laquer is less or even absent nowadays. --- I saw the new military ammo listed at Midway.  Why would they even come out with another line of laquered-up ammo, and sell it for the same price.

I called Midway and they said they didn't know of any differences, but why give it a whole new name/box to wear.  So, Krochus, I'm sure your right, but Wolf doesn't seem to be making any sense.  Am I missing something?

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »

Now bear in mind that WOLF isn't the only game in town, Silver Bear brand uses some kind of plating/anodizing on thier cases, Golden bear uses copper washed cases. Cheetah is berdan primed brass cased and S&B is reloadable brass cased. Sapsan is really good but the best is Barnaul Reguarding polymer non polymer WOLF brand I've heard 2 reasons. One Wolf is just repackaging old stockpiles of surplus foe the military classic line. TWO some ruskie guns actuallu have some problems with the poly coating, hence both flavors.

From Wolf's web page

WOLF unveils the next generation ammunition with POLYFORMANCE™ an advanced technology polymer coating. All WOLF ammunition is backed by a 100% PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE.

This advanced technology polymer coating offers:
# Superior Reliability: The application of the polymer creates a precision uniform coating around the casing. It produces a bullet with persistent, uncompromising, stable dimensions thus leading to smooth reliable extractions.

# Better Functioning: The superior lubricity improvement eases wear in gun chambers and alleviates excessive operational and maintenance issues associated with rapid firing. The development of this polymer represents a break-through in the field of tribology, and incorporates the most recent chemistry in terms of lubricity improving molecules.

With reguards to the Military Classic

Economically priced for the shooter who enjoys high volume shooting of popular military calibers

But honestly why the aversion to laquer? Do you plan on never cleaning the rifle.

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »
Of course I clean my rifles.  I'm just trying to learn.  Thanks, again!

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2006, 12:04:23 PM »
Of course I clean my rifles.  I'm just trying to learn.  Thanks, again!

Sorry! I didn't mean for you to take it that way.

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »
   Pecci, the reason the 7.63x39 is not recomended is because of the type of bullet. Most surpluss ammo is plinking bullets,some accurate, some not. Also, good deer bullet needs a core-lock by Remington or any reputable "hunting bullet". The bullets may not expand properly or "blow up" on impact. If you can get core-locts for the gun it will work fine at short ranges.  Now, why would you want to sell such a nice deer gun like the.260 rem. You will lose money on a trade. Start reloading, and ammo is 5 bucks a box. Reloading is funn too.

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2006, 03:46:47 PM »
   Pecci, the reason the 7.63x39 is not recomended is because of the type of bullet. Most surpluss ammo is plinking bullets,some accurate, some not. Also, good deer bullet needs a core-lock by Remington or any reputable "hunting bullet". The bullets may not expand properly or "blow up" on impact. If you can get core-locts for the gun it will work fine at short ranges.  Now, why would you want to sell such a nice deer gun like the.260 rem. You will lose money on a trade. Start reloading, and ammo is 5 bucks a box. Reloading is funn too.

The absoulte worst ammo I've fired in my CZ527 was a box of remington core lokt. This ammo caused a gun that shoots 1" groups to print an 8" pattern at 100 yds.

Pecci, the reason the 7.63x39 is not recomended is because of the type of bullet. Most surpluss ammo is plinking bullets,some accurate, some not.

It's not that hard to read on the box and use the correct bullet for game. Come on do you actually think Pecci is just going to buy a sack of mystery bullets ang go shootin deer with em ::). Heck with that line of reasoning you shouldn't deer hunt with .308 either, Heck you may get some FMJ ammo and not know it. ::)

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2006, 03:33:14 AM »
When it comes to "cheap" ammo, you have to look at gun companies that make cheap ammo.  Of of my favorit are the wolf (copper jacket only, none of that bi-metal crap), wolf gold (great soft-point hunting ammo), Igman (nice soft-point european ammo), and of course, the military surplus (MAKE SURE ITS NONE CORROSIVE or u'll be cleaning your gun EVERYTIME you use it).

Here are the calibers I use and buy when I don't feel like reloading:

1) Igman (makes great 7mm mag ammo for $12 -- 175 gr @ 2800 FPS)
2) Igman (makes 6.5X55 swedish 140 gr soft-points for $8)
3) Wolf (make sure you get copper and not bi-metal), they make great .223 and 7.62X39 ammo for plinking and practise, about $3.5 a box (and even less for the 7.62)
4) Wolf Gold (makes nice 30-06, 7mm mag, 308, 6.5X55 swedish, 300 win mag, and much more) and are around $9-13 a box.  All are hunting ammo with soft points.
5) And of course, the military surplus like 30-06, 308, 7.62 X 39, .223.  Gander mountain used to sell a tint of 308 ammo (360 rounds) of 147 FMJ for about $70 and they were non-corrosive.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2006, 04:00:53 AM »
Have you considered re-barreling the gun? You could have a .243 barrel put on and only lose about 100 FPS. Or bump up to a .308.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2006, 07:00:22 AM »
Wanna know something? 7.62x39mm is not deer cartridge, too low volocity with light weight.

I've seen too many deer taken by an old Mil surplus M-1 Carbine.  if .30 carbine can take em, so can a 7.62x39.
-Davoh

Offline S.S.

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »
The deer I have shot with the 7.62x39 must not have known they
were not supposed to die from it  :-[ ... In an accurate bolt action
it should easily be a 150-200 yard Whitetail killer. My shots were inside of 100
with an open sight SKS ! I really like it because with the right round it expends most of its energy
in the animal. The PMC rounds I use are almost always under the hide on the
opposite side. This of course depends on range. The 154 grain Wolf ammo doesn't even
slow down, It just sails right through. .30 cal in and about .45 exit hole.
I do not have a bolt action 7.62x39 but I would love to get one.
As far as the old Laquered case ammo heating up and meltin' in your gun !
Like was stated above If it doesn't melt in an AK on full auto,
I would not worry much about it melting in your bolt gun. There are those in these forums that
are terrified of using laquered ammo but I have went through literally thousands of rounds in various
calibers and weapons and have never had a problem from it. If folks don't want to use it though,
It just leaves more for me to shoot up ;D
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2006, 02:08:03 AM »
Start loading for it cheaper than getting a new rifle my dad LOVED his 6mm until someone took it. You can load from 50gr up to 107gr. If you do let me know i have 4 boxes of brass i will GIVE you.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
Try a muzzle loader, Like a Hawkins.  80 to 90gr. Gorex 2f and a patched round ball. Can't get much cheaper than that and it is fun to boot.

:) Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2006, 03:08:09 AM »
cheaper deer round needed... well, this has been pretty well beaten. No. 1 el-cheapo is going to be 7.62x39. I've owned an SKS, liked it. Problem as a hunting arm, for me, is two-fold: first of all no scope, and my eyes are going downhill, esp. at first/last light; second, the trigger sucked on mine.

I've gone through a 270, a 30-06 - neither particularly cheap, thought it's all relative - and for the past few years have hunted with muzzleloader only. But twice this season - TWICE! - I could have used a second shot, so... earlier this week I traded away a little-used old 9mm for a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Pretty, traditional, and oh so handy to carry. Put my 1.5-4x32mm trophy on it, will shoot this morning. boresighted it yesterday, roughly sighted in with five shots... very sweet, mild-shooting rifle. I like it. But ammo is still expensive by SKS/milsurp standards, though slightly less than other centerfire. I think I'm gonna learn to reload.

Back to thread... if you want really cheap, really potent deer hunting round, and you've good young eyes... get a Mosin-Nagant. Dirt-cheap to buy, dirt-cheap to feed, better trigger than SKS, and you can put mojo sights on it - and the cartridge itself is very potent, more than you'll need. I'm gonna get one just for fun, and I might even hunt with it some. Only downer, besides no scope... the safety on it sucks.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »