Author Topic: Simmons Aetec  (Read 852 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Simmons Aetec
« on: April 30, 2003, 07:39:59 AM »
I think that's how you spell it...

Anyway, I was at the gun range a couple of weeks ago and a someone was shooting a 300 Win. Mag. with a Simmons Aetec scope (I don't recall the power range.)

So, to my surprise, the scope held up pretty well - granted, however, it was a brand new scope.  Give it some time and then talk to me.

But then again, this fella told me that he has had 4 other Simmons Aetec scopes in the past years and had never had any problems with them.

I have personally seen Simmons Aetec, and other Simmons model, scopes fall apart and not group well.  Still, I like to pride myself on being objective and neutral (with the exception of when I must be the advocate in representing my client).  

As such, all I can say is that this particular Simmons Aetec scope held up well under the fierce recoil of a .300 Mag.  Okay, let's wait a few years or so and see what happens, but then again this guy said that he has owned a few of them with no problems.  I am a fairly good judge of character and I do no believe that he was lying.

On the other hand, since I have seen other Simmons Aetec scopes with problems, I would like to state that, perhaps like other scopes of even much better reputations, perhaps there are always lemons in a batch of sweet grapes.

But then again, that may be the point I have always tried to make.  Perhaps the problem with Simmons is quality control?  Because some are good and some are not?  

Keep in mind that there is MUCH more to a scope than just how well it keeps up under recoil.  A Simmons Aetec's lenses are not nearly as clear or crisp than a Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, Swarovski, or Zeiss, but for the money, it may not be that bad.

So to all of you Simmons lovers out there :D , I just want to say that I won't say good things about Simmons scopes, but then again I won't say really bad things either. :wink:

For the record, I still firmly believe that, for a little extra money, shooters can get a better scope. :wink:

Zachary

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Simmons Aetec
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 02:40:16 PM »
There you go stirring the soup again.  Although I really think that in optics you get what you pay for.  Hey, did I just through  a carrot into your soup?  :eek:
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Zachary

Simmons Aetec
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 03:41:30 AM »
No, longwinters, you didn't. :grin:

I still don't endorse any of the Tasco scopes.  All I'm saying is that I won't trash the trashco scopes that much - that's all.  :grin:

Zachary

Offline SoftPoint

Simmons Aetec
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 04:54:09 AM »
Ihave a Simmons shotgun scope on my 444 that has held up, so I,m satisfied. But, after seeing a friends Bushnell Trophy scopy on his, I'm convinced that these Trophy scopes are one of the best deals on the market.
Cheers!
SoftPoint

Offline Zachary

Simmons Aetec
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 04:56:48 AM »
I can certainly agree with that.

Zachary