Author Topic: .35 Whelen  (Read 511 times)

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
.35 Whelen
« on: November 26, 2006, 03:05:26 AM »
Just found out .35 Whjelen is offered this year.  I tried last year for a barrel and they didn't have any stuck away.  Now I find that they seem to have the chamber a little too deep, went away from the ejector (really?)), and on top of that they are out of stock.  Now bad of the misfire problem?  And why do away with the ejector?  Maybe I would be better off the either get a 30-06 (now have .243, .250-06 and 45-70), or find enough $ to bet a barrel redone in .33-06 or .338 Federal.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: .35 Whelen
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 03:45:23 AM »
Just found out .35 Whjelen is offered this year.  I tried last year for a barrel and they didn't have any stuck away.  Now I find that they seem to have the chamber a little too deep, went away from the ejector (really?)), and on top of that they are out of stock.  Now bad of the misfire problem?  And why do away with the ejector?  Maybe I would be better off the either get a 30-06 (now have .243, .250-06 and 45-70), or find enough $ to bet a barrel redone in .33-06 or .338 Federal.

I've only heard of a few that have had any major problems with the newer Whelen barrels...and most have had excellent accuracy out of them...If you want one...get it...I've got one of the 338-06A-Squares and love it...so it's a worthwhile project too if your wanting to go that route...The change over to the extractors is because folks complained regularly about how far the shell would eject and they would have to look for the case.... after NEF started putting in the weaker ejector springs...which caused the failure to eject syndrome...massive amounts complained about that...so...we got the extractor barrels...Truth be told here...I really prefere them after using them for a while...for a number of reasons...but having a captive type extractor in a Handi makes it great for handloaders...and wildcatting ...and usually no more stuck cases...

PS...Welcome to GBO...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 05:13:04 AM »
The extractor is a huge plus.

If you don't reload, you now have the advantage to make new friends.

Everytime that Handi doesn't dump that case into never-neverland, drop it in your pocket.  After you get 40-50 cases, put a note in the classifieds, that you'd like to send the cases to someone that does reload.  Instant new friend.

It really doesn't take that much longer to load.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »
my 35 whelen has been great so far, problem free.................... :)