Author Topic: Looking to purchase a Game Trail Camera...Questions????  (Read 758 times)

Offline vonfatman

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Looking to purchase a Game Trail Camera...Questions????
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:07:47 PM »
Does anyone have experience with game-trail cameras?

My wife and I want to buy one, but first we thought it best to ask around to see which "flavor(s)" are best liked.

Some of our thoughts:

+We'd like to capture a peak at some of the deer and other critters on our farm.

+We think a digital (vs. 35mm) camera would be best for us.

+We do not know what features are key????

+We think we might spend $250.00 +/-

+What do you think about the infra-red flash vs. traditional white light flash?? We think the "invisible" flash might be good should our camera encounter a trespasser sneaking in or out of our farm...our thinking is that should the trespasser be "flashed" he/she would no doubt attempt to destroy/steal the camera.

+What about locking the camera to a tree? Is it worth the effort?

+Are there particular brands that shine above others?

Thank you!

Bob
"Onward Through the Fog"

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Looking to purchase a Game Trail Camera...Questions????
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 01:46:53 PM »
I have used film and digital cams.  The digital will save you a ton on film cost and you don't have to check it as often.  Rechargeable batteries are a good idea, and the longer the battery lasts the better.  As for flash, any time I have hung mine something has gradually caused less traffic around the camera and I blame flash.  The first week I might get 50 hits but by the time I pull it 3 weeks later I might only be getting 20 hits.  The big bucks especially avoid the unit after it takes a couple of pictures of them at night.

Offline vonfatman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »
SDS-GEN,
Thank you for the suggestions.  I always figured a white light flash would
make the critters weary...

We are learning lots from people like yourself who share their
thoughts...many thanks.

Bob
"Onward Through the Fog"

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 04:21:55 PM »
Trigger speed is critcal if you are putting on a trail, but not as important if around a feeder.

Locking cables are easily cut, but will keep the unprepared would be thief from snagging it.

I would definitely go digital and most have a setting for video clips.

NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline vonfatman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 05:49:12 PM »
Thank you elmer!  I appreciate the feedback.

I had not thought about the trail vs. feeder area.

Happy New Year!!!

Bob
"Onward Through the Fog"

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 06:13:21 PM »
  ONe word Cuddeback.  I have the Cuddeback 3.0 and love it, long battery life, fairly easy setup. I have the flash model and it doesn't seem to spook game. I have a friend who has the infrared model Cuddy and it had one really irritating problem. At dusk and dawn The Ifrared flash would go off and white out the picture. We were kinda talking about that being like your prime time for timing bucks. I use the memory cards in mine and just swap em eery time I checkmy camera. There is a great site that tests all the cameras I beleave it is    http://www.chasingame.com . They have real good camera reviews there. Good luck taking trail cam pics is alot of fun.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 01:58:50 AM »
Try:  http://www.qdmaforums.com/ and navigate to the "Trail Cameras" forum.  There you will find a wealth of information.  Also, on one of the older posts (I'll try to find and post it here) there is a link to an outfit that tests and posts the results of their Trail Camera tests, which may or may not be the same as posted by "billy..." above.

[LATE NOTE:  Billy's link above is the same and it is a RECOMMENDED first step in your search}

BTW:  $250.00 is on the very LOW end of Trail Cameras AND it is only the initial investment.  Your photographic results will be only as good as the equipment you purchase.  Cconsider whether your equipment will be subjected to poaching and vandalism.  Reading the QDMA forum posts carefully suggest that additional support equipment is recommended, but not required, as a convenience to determine IN THE FIELD whether your camera is properly functioning, battery life/function, did it take any photos or am I returning home with nothing, etc.

Offline vonfatman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:44:23 AM »
Thank you very much.  You are both correct, the Chasingame site is wonderful!

I snag'd a low-end digital Bushnell  ($55.00) and we've seen a few critters...doe and dogs!

It's been difficult deciding on the cameras...this is an interesting hobby for sure.
I may pick up a couple more low end digital cameras for use to decide where to
place my feed sites...then buy better quality cameras for those areas.

Bob
"Onward Through the Fog"

Offline JerryNH

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 01:05:47 AM »
I have learned by the errors of my ways. I started out with 35mm (too expensive)and worked my way up to digital. I have mine set where it gets cold, real cold. The first digital trail camera I used had a 6 volt battery and as soon as the weather dropped, the battery died. The next digital game camera I bought used "AA" batteries and I use Energizer Lithium "AA" which hold up much better against freezing temps.  Walmart sells em cheap and I also found a good one on EBay. Good luck.