Author Topic: reduced recoil shotshells  (Read 702 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
reduced recoil shotshells
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:21:01 AM »
 has anyone used those remington managed recoil shells ? they are supposed to reduce recoil, but how do they still effectively kill game animals ?
anyone with some experience in this ? care to share it ? i'm intrested in using them to hunt small game and was wondering about thier effectiveness.
cheers, glenn

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: reduced recoil shotshells
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »
Glenn, reduced recoil = reduced velocity = increased lead. "Managed" recoil shells are every bit as effective as high velocity shotshells. We Americans are enamored with "magnumitis". In Europe our managed recoil shotshells are their standard loads. In other words 4 or 5 #7 1/2 shot at 1100 fps in almost any small game critter is every bit as effective the same load at 1300 fps.
Less recoil = more fun, not less game.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 01:57:00 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly, "magnumitus" does little more in most cases than hurt your shoulder and your ears, I believe 90%-95% of the time we are shooting it is not needed....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 06:24:54 AM »
well i believe in the addage of "use enough gun" ..  i couldnt find managed shotshells in 20 gauge or .410 and was thinking that maybe in those gauges they didnt have enough power for a clean kill.  but actually i was shopping for 12 gauge shells when i was looking..so maybe its a mute point anyhow, lol ..
glenn

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 06:46:41 AM »
I have not tried the reduced recoil Remingtons but I have used a couple thousand of the Winchester Reduced Noise/Reduced Recoil shells in competition.  I wouldn't hesitate to use them for small game as long as I patterend the gun first.  Recoil is about nil with them. 

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 08:32:42 AM »
I don't have any experience with the .410, but I have plenty with the 20 ga. I use standard velocity 7/8 oz #7 1/2 shot for grouse and the same load with #6 shot for ptarmigan and snowshoe hares. It's plenty of gun and plenty of shot, good luck.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.