Author Topic: Gas checks on bevel base bullets??  (Read 1023 times)

Offline JBC

• Trade Count: (0)
Gas checks on bevel base bullets??
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:26:43 AM »
I have a large quantity of oregon trail laser cast .44 240 swc bevel base bullets that I got before the price went through the roof and I have 4 different .44 magnums and have not been able to load them such that I am not getting a serious amount of leading. Some are tight throated and some have barrel constrictions under the barrel threads. I also have access to a lubrisizer and would like to know if anyone has tried to crimp gas checks on the bottom of these. I don't have calipers handy but it looks to be at least .060" of bevel on the bottom. Any opinion would be appreciated, Thanks.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: Gas checks on bevel base bullets??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 05:37:34 AM »
You will not be able to use gas checks on these bullets as is, just try different loads and see how it comes out.

yooper77

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:55:36 AM »
Gas checks can be put on PB bullets after chamfering the base, so the same should be able to be done to a BB bullet if the bevel is at the correct angle.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,138868.msg1098544055.html#msg1098544055

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,93476.msg571590.html#msg571590
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JBC

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »
Thanks Tim, I saw one of those threads in the H&R f.a.q.'s and it is what got me thinking about the idea. I have pushed these bullets every which way from 900fps to 1400fps with 3 different powders and can't keep them from leading in my 50th blackhawk, super redhawk, taurus tracker, and my winchester saddle ring carbine and I hate to give up on them because I have so many on hand.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »
The main caveat that I've thought of is I'd be leary about shooting over a chrono with checks on bullets that aren't made for them, I've seen gas checks from properly checked bullets go thru chronos at the range, so I would imagine this could be hazardous to your chrono's health without some sort of shielding and using wood dowels for the sky screen rods.

I dunno if it's possible, but with a light load, could a gas check turn sideways in the bore and become an obstruction? I wouldn't think so with pressure on it until it clears the muzzle. That's the only other issue I thought of other than if the check isn't seated completely square on the base of the bullet causing inaccuracy.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:12:10 AM »
i wont say it cant be done. Ive got a 45acp mold from lyman that is a discontinued mold. Its a 220 grain swcbb. Gas checks not only fit on it but crimp onto it as well. I havent found another bullet that worked as well with them though.
blue lives matter

Offline JRR

• http://www.saber.net/~jr-abs/
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 04:37:19 AM »
I have used crimp-on gas checks on LC .358 BB 158 and 180 bullets.  It works fine and the checks stay on well.  The bevel is swagged into a shoulder.  The larger diameter bullets are more difficult because the amount of bevel is a smaller percentage.  I use a Lee push through sizer and apply a good coat of LLA.  Part of the problem with the LC bullets is poor lube combined with being overly hard.  I have since dumped the LC into the melting pot and blended in about 50% stick-on wheel weight lead and cast plain based or gas checked bullets.
Jeff

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »
I too have used GCs on numerous BB bullets. Some BB bullets have a long tapered BB and the GCs fit fine.  A small tapered punch is easy to make in a lathe, drill press or drill held in a vise. Just chuck the puch in which ever and use a fine file to bevel the end of the punch so you can flair the GCs more than they are. If you form the punch right (not hard) and set the GC on a block of lead (linotype works better) and tap the punch in the edges are flared out to fit over the BB and the bottom of the GC is flattened.  These are easily recrimped onto the bullet during the sizing/lubing operation on the Lyman 450.

I also have little use for the lube on not only LC bullets but on most all commercial cast bullets. I usually let the bullets soak in Coleman Lantern fuel. It takes most of the lube off real quick. I then GC and relube the bullets with a sizer of the same diameter as the bullet in the 450.  I've a bunch of 215 gr .44 bullets I did this to a couple years ago. I load the now 224 gr bullets over 22 gr 2400 to 1450 fps out of my 50th Anniversary BH with excellent accuracy (12 shots in 2" over sandbags at 25 Yards) and zero leading.  Couldn't push them past 1200 fps before without a lot of leading and poor accuracy. Works for other BB bullets also but the BB must be long enough.

Larry Gibson

Offline JBC

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:26:51 AM »
Thanks alot Larry, that sounds like a good plan, I had thought about getting into casting but have had a hard time finding sources of lead locally so re melting these is not an option right now but I am a toolmaker by trade and have plenty of machinery to use any time I need so the punch should be no problem. I also have a 50th blackhawk that I really love, it is by far the best shooter I have as far as .44's go, even better than my super red. I would like to eventually get a fire lapping kit and lap out the tight spot under the barrel threads to improve the cast shooting ability of that gun but I think that is not the only problem with the commercial cast bullet's I have because they lead the entire length of the barrel (junk lube I would suppose) so I think the only reasonable bandaid right now would be to gas check them so I think I will give it a try.

Thanks again guy's for your help,
Joe

Offline readr1

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »
Just a thought, if you have a tight spot at the front if your barrel just after the forcing cone (where the threads are), your barrel could be sizing the bullets down to the point that you would get gas cutting  and it would lead your entire barrel from there on.