Author Topic: Recommendations for Cannon Builder  (Read 1133 times)

Offline blue7.62

• Trade Count: (0)
Recommendations for Cannon Builder
« on: December 01, 2006, 04:37:02 AM »
Hey guy's....
I am new to cannons in general and I am looking for my first cannon. Can anyone recommend a builder? I have been looking at Steen, Cannon ltd, and Canadian Cannon Co. Full scale in bronze is my first choice, however lots of $$$$ and tranportation would be tough for me. My Second thought is 1/2 scale so it wouild fit in my truck but I am giving up on the bore size and "boom" factor. I dont participate in reinactments, so this is just for show and fun. Mostly to shoot of at machinegun shoots here in Colorado. Does anyone have experience with the 1/2 scale field cannon from Canadian Cannon Co? the steel tube looks good and sturdy plus it would allow me to shoot lead balls, although the brass would look much nicer. Why are the prices so much different between the different companies? Any ideas out there?
Thanks for your time,  Russ

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Recommendations for Cannon Builder
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:54:25 AM »
If you are looking for Cannons or cannon shooting supplies we recommend that you start with the folks that make this board possible, our Sponsors.  From what you describe what you ar looking for  start with Neff Cannons or Carpenter's replica Artillery.  You will find som incrediible guns built by these two guys!

GBO BPM&C Sponsors

Neff Cannons
Scale Model Replicas of Authentic Civil War Cannons

Brooks-USA
Quality signal cannon; small barrels, overbuilt in salute to safety and designed to speak! We are intriqued by the history of cannon and just keep adding to our offerings. Our website shows the current barrels we are making

Wesley Pilley
600 Albion Ave.
Burley, Id 83318
WesleyP9@cableone.net
Quality made cannons, Mortars, Handgonnes, Implements, Ball molds, and more

CARPENTER'S REPLICA  ARTILLERY
Cannons ranging in size from 1/2 scale 2.25" bore in a French 75 and civil war carriage to small .41 caliber cannons. I also build Beer can and tennis ball mortars

Kap Pullen
410-552-4443
kappullen@adelphia.net
We will be making a variety of parts for artillery;  Capsquares, locks, those fancy nuts for carriages, pendulum hausse's?

Parts for live steam engines; side rods (trains) valve gear linkages and whatever there is a need for

AAAmunitions
Ammunition for the new millennium means politically correct ammunition that will not fire, and is intended for the use of historians and collectors for exhibition. There is no live ammunition manufactured.  All rounds are fixed (this includes the projectile strapped to the sabot  and tied to the powder bag), and ready to load with one exception, they are "inert". Parts & Equipment - includes: rammer heads, slaplocks, lanyards, sponge heads, worms, lead shot of various sizes, sights, elevating wheels, and other hard to find items. If you need it, I probably can find or at least tell you where to find it or how to make it.

Offline reddog

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 05:40:27 AM »
Hi blue, I orderd the 1/2 scale cannon from canadian cannon, He is still working on it. would of been done sooner but he hurt his hand pretty bad on A milling bit. He did send the wheels and they are outstanding quality! Can't wait to get the rest!! He said it would be here by Christmas. By the way this cannon is A Christmas present from my wife, gatta love her!!!
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline blue7.62

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:28:50 PM »
Thanks Reddog.......It looks like a great cannon! The price is right and so is the size. I just can't decide steel or brass. What did you get? And have you talked to anyone else that may have one?

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
blue7.62,

You will never regret Brass….  :)  :)

With steel, you will always wish it were Brass….  :(  :(

Just my two cents worth with 40 years of cannon interest and shooting.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline reddog

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 03:24:20 AM »
Hi blue, I orderd steel, the brass was A little to much. I orderd mine unfinnished so I can finnish it myself.
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."