Author Topic: BARREL PORTING?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Topper

• Trade Count: (0)
BARREL PORTING?
« on: December 23, 2006, 03:26:49 PM »
What do you guys think of barrel porting?  Does it really do any good? 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: BARREL PORTING?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »
I am pretty sure someone here, at least one member, has a ported 12 gauge, Markus possibly?....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 03:18:12 AM »
MSP Ret is right again. I have a topper deluxe slug that came from the factory ported. EVOC 1 has the same gun except I think it is a smooth bore. His looks exatly like mine and he posted a pic a while back. The porting definitely reduces the felt recoil.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 03:57:10 AM »
I always wondered....does it affect the ballistics of the slug?  How would does the felt recoil feel as compared to a non-ported 20ga?
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Topper

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 05:12:15 AM »
Cookieman - Same thought, can you really feel a significant difference between ported and non-ported shotgun recoil?

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 01:07:37 PM »
It really depends on what you are shooting out of it. Like anything else that is ported the more stout the load the better the effect is. Porting a gun using light target loads probably won't make a big difference, however shooting magnum loads like turkey loads or high velocity slugs would probably be noticeable.

I had a mossberg that was ported, it sort of helped with recoil on heavier loads, but were I noticed a difference was in muzzle flip. It did a very good job of keeping my gun level with hard kicking shells.

They are bit on the loud side though.

Would I pay to have it done, nope, not at all. However I wouldn't let it sway my decision in buying a gun if I liked it.

There are better ways to tame recoil than porting in my opinion. Like a better recoil pad or added mass, or some kind of recoil absorption device.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 01:49:34 AM »
I had my Tracker II, 12ga slug gun ported at MagNaPort. Their shotgun division has a different name, but I can't recall it right now. Go to Mag Na Port's website......
I posted photos on another thread not too long ago re: porting. Take a look.

With the porting, it does seem louder, but only at the range. I get very close to factory listed velocity with my Federal 2 3/4" BRI slugs, using my Chrony.
The BIG help from porting is that the fore end l no longer jumps out of my hand with each shot, keeping groups MUCH smaller at 50 and 100 yds!

I did get a small buck this year on CT state land at 48 yds. Shot was placed EXACTLY where I had aimed. He fell right in his tracks.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!