Author Topic: need info on Walther P99 40SW  (Read 420 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
need info on Walther P99 40SW
« on: November 21, 2006, 10:13:24 AM »
I went shopping for an autoloading medium size carry / plinking gun.  I thought I wanted a .45 ACP XD but nothing quite suited/ fit me like the Walther P99.  So I bought it, used with Meprolite night sights. I like the decocker and dual strike option it offers.

One strange thing is it seems it won't allow single loading by hand, but must carry the round in from the magazine.

Any suggestions on a good holster?
Comments on reliability, operation?
Warnings?
I know little of the 40 SW - what's a good ammo choice?  I might not reload for this one for a while.

This was a spur-of-the-moment decision instead of my normal pre-purchase research.

Hope I made a good decision but I see a short search of GB has a couple unhappy comments on the P99.
Thanks
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: need info on Walther P99 40SW
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
Dand,
Auto pistols are controlled feed. They are designed to feed from the magazine. As the round is stripped from the magazine, it is captured by the extractor and held against the breach face in the feeding cycle. Loading the chamber manually, and dropping the slide, will damage your extractor. I have no first hand knowledge of this pistol, having only handled a couple. Not a fan of the .40 either, but any good hollowpoint in the 150-165gr range should do the job. Hope you two get along well!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,