Author Topic: Brinell hardness of rimfire bullets  (Read 550 times)

Offline RamSlammer

• Trade Count: (0)
Brinell hardness of rimfire bullets
« on: December 09, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »
G'Day All
           Does anyone know the hardness of rimfire bullets and/or the alloy mix? Our local smallbore club would be a inexhaustable source of alloy if it was suitable.
Juddy

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

Re: Brinell hardness of rimfire bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:06:58 AM »
I don't think it's pure lead - .22 bullets certainly seem harder than the musketballs I use in my muzzleloader.  Sorry, I can't give you a Brinell hardness.  It's probably on the softer end - like 8 - 10. 

My guess is they contain arsenic or antimony or both and would respond to heat treating.  Are you looking for harder alloy?  Or softer?
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline RamSlammer

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 04:23:20 PM »
G'Day
      I'm looking to use the rimfire bullets that we catch at our local club. When there is approx 60 shooters a week firing 60-100 shots there is a lot of alloy waiting to be used. The main problem is all the bits of backing board, paper, etc mixed in it. I think I'll light the barbie and just thrw the lead in and let the good stuff run out the bottom.
    Juddy

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 07:29:22 PM »
I would think that the match stuff may be a bit on the soft side.  I think it would be an excellent "base" material.  If you want to send me aprx. 1000 grns.  I will cast up a couple of rounds and let you know what the LBT tester says.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."