Author Topic: 35-376 Steyr?????  (Read 723 times)

Offline panhandle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
35-376 Steyr?????
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
I would like to have a 35 cal. cartridge that would have a little more punch than a 35 Whelen, but I surely don't need or enjoy shooting something like the 358 Norma.  Seems that the 376 Steyr necked down to 35 would be very useful.  What are your thoughts on this?  I sure someone has already done it, but I couldn't find anything on it.  I'm left-handed so anything I want, I have to build it.

Panhandlepr

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 35-376 Steyr?????
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:05:49 PM »
I'd certainly agree it would make an excellent base for a .35 BUT I think Steyr is the only one chambering for it. It's a bit of a fat case and would take a gunsmith who understands how to set up the feeding for it in order for it to function well.

Another matter I think too many forget is that velocity is not the utopia many think it is. The .358 is a perfect hunting round and while the Whelen gets a wee bit more velocity it's really not that much more of a hunting round then the .358. You might get as much extra over the Whelen as it gets over the .358 but to what real end? Long range and flat trajectory are not the fortes of big bore thumpers.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!