Author Topic: H&R .270  (Read 1207 times)

Offline emsemt911

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
H&R .270
« on: December 11, 2006, 07:05:15 AM »
I am in the market for a single shot .270 win.  I can not decide on the H&R or to spend the money on the TC encore.
I need some input form other .270 H&R owners.  Have you had any problems, trigger weight, what about accuracy?  Also some pics would be helpfull.  The pics on the H&R site are lacking in quality.

I am ALL about accuracy on a gun.  I will pay more to get the accuracy that I want.

Thanks

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: H&R .270
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:13:43 AM »

Welcome to GBO

Check up at the top of the page for the FAQ's...Lot's of good info up there with plenty of pictures as well...It's your choice if you want to spend more money on the TC line...but most folks are happy with their Handi 270's...myself included..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:56 AM »
Welcome aboard! What Mac said!! I have a bunch of NEF/H&Rs, over 30 to be exact. I also recently aquired a used Encore frame and built a Prohunter around it, haven't shot it yet, but I find a lot of the same issues with it that are found on the Handis/Ultras.

Most current production triggers on H&Rs for the last year or so have been reported as very good out of the box, for older models that wasn't true for the most part, but H&R has always done free trigger jobs on those rifles if requested, usually when a frame is sent in for an additional barrel, they make it a 3-4lb, smooth and crisp pull, right now, that's how they come from all reports, seems they might have figured out that it was more cost effective to produce them with decent, but safe triggers out of the box instead of doing it for free later.

My Encore frame had a 7lb-2oz trigger, so it wasn't as good as current production H&Rs and a trigger job by a gunsmith will cost $40 to $90 for the Encore, although it can be done at home if you are the DIY type just as an H&R can be done, H&R trigger instructions are in the FAQ. From research on Encore triggers here and on the net, 6-7lbs out of the box is pretty typical, and there is no adjustable trigger on the Encore as there is on the Contrender, but there is an overtravel adjustment in the trigger guard..

There are several other issues that are similar that I won't get into right now as I haven't shot mine yet, and don't feel I can offer opinions on accuracy as of yet, but do an internet search on failures to fire, the Encore forum alone here will yeild a fair amount of info on that subject. There's also several threads on unhappy TC Customer and poor accuracy.

You can also read a very good article at www.6mmbr.com on the Encore, just type Encore in their search box.

In my opinion so far in making a comparison of the 2, being able to buy additional barrels is one of the fortes of the Encore, but that has a price to it considering a blued Encore will cost well over $500 compared to less than half that for a Handi or Ultra, so far I wouldn't do it again, but that's just me.

There's a thread in the single shot forum that's got a lot of good posts in it from both sides of the fence with many from owners of both, be sure to check it out.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »
for the price of a T/C Encore.........and I like my T/C New Englander very much..........i'd buy a Remington Model 700 or a Weatherby Vanguard in that .270 Win' caliber.

i've worked with both of the rifles i recommended and they are superb.

just my two cents,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 01:24:55 PM »
I've worked with and handload for my BIL 270 ultra and its a 1/2in at 100yd shooter with my handload as well as a few store bought brands of ammo.
It inspired me to buy into the H&R addiction.
Get one.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."