Author Topic: .308 Survivor Sight In  (Read 1112 times)

Offline deadohiosky_11

• Trade Count: (0)
.308 Survivor Sight In
« on: December 06, 2006, 04:40:46 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm new to GBO and new to H&R rifles.  I recevied my .308 survivor yesterday and I fitted it with a Harris bipod and a Tasco 6x24x40mm Varmit/Target scope.

I took it out to break it in and sight in the scope today.  It is suprisingly accurate out of the box.  I shot twice, adjusted the scope, and then fired the 1" group you see in the center.  This was at 50 yards, not 100, but I can't wait to take it out farther.  The Tasco was suprisingly bright at 24x even in the shade.  The clicks were dead on too.  I'm going to take the rifle deer hunting tommorow, hopefully I'll have a rack to show y'all.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: .308 Survivor Sight In
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 06:02:36 PM »

Welcome to GBO

Congrats on the new Survivor...& Good Luck on your deer hunting...Post some pics when you get one...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:54:41 PM »
hey pard
nice gun and a nice group with it
thats what im wanting for myself is a survivor in 308
just curious from the position of the hammer extension and the bullets on the gun are you a lefty???
i am but i shoot right handed for some reason
anyways nice set up
sureshot

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:06:37 AM »
Nice outfit and good start. I, too, use bipods most of the time unless I am coyote hunting with my .243 and then I take my shooting stix. Good shooting to you!
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline deadohiosky_11

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 07:55:28 AM »
Sureshot, I am a lefty.

Here is my deer...

Just kidding, it's just half of its loin all fryed up.  Tastes great!
It was an average sized doe, so I didn't bother taking a picture of it.  I used Remington CoreLokt 150gr, and it made a nasty exit wound.  It ruined the front quarter.  Next time, I'll either use HPBT or just aim for the head. 

Offline PAPACHUCK

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 06:21:23 AM »
I also recently bought a Survivor .308.  It has been to the range once, but the only ammo I had at the time was some re-loads someone gave me.  The rifle shot well, but I never finished sighting in the scope.  It's a fun little guy.

My new toy;

I can't wait to go back and shoot it some more!

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:38:44 PM »
Nice.
Just another H&R I "need". ;D
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline deadohiosky_11

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 10:40:10 AM »
  I think the .308 survivor is the do-it-all handi-rifle, at least for my purposes.  I can hunt deer with it.  I can load it down and shoot varmints.  I can target shoot a long way with it.  It's compact and sturdy enough to keep in the jeep for whatever I run into.  Plus, I love the pistol grip.  It is not for those who prefer wood stocked rifles. 

Does that mean I'm not going to get another handi-rifle barrel?  Of course not...  I think a .45/70 is in my future, you know just in case I run into some buffalo.