Author Topic: compact light weight scope  (Read 467 times)

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
compact light weight scope
« on: January 03, 2007, 06:36:55 AM »
Looking for a light weight compact scope for a rem model seven in 7-08 for shots up to 250 yrds, prob 3-9. Its for a rough terrain rifle, lots of climbing so need as light as possible
Thanks
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: compact light weight scope
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:53 AM »
When tough and light are important, Leupold comes to mind.  Don't know what your price range is, but they offer different models.  Just my opinion - a lower magnification range will work superbly for shots up to 250 yards on a huntling rifle, and may save you some size and weight, while still giving you a nice bright sight picture.  The Optic Zone is a great place to shop - there are several brands that will work for you, specs are listed, prices are great.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:31:43 AM »
Take a look at the Sightron SII compact scopes.  There's a fixed 4x, 2.5-7x32, and 2.5-10x32.  Lots of eye relief on all of them, fully multi-coated, very light weight.  I've got one of the 4x that gets bounced around on rifles, mostly muzzleloaders.  With 4.5" of eye relief that means no scope marks on my forehead, and it only weighs 8 ounces.  These are all short scopes with limited ring space, so you'd probably have to use extension rings on a long action rifle.  Most short action rifles (with the exception of Savage) shouldn't need them.  You can find good deals on the auction sites.  Most retailers sell the 4x for around $200 or more, but I found one on Gunbroker, NIB, for $125 shipped!!!  They had it listed as a SI shotgun scope instead of what it really was.  I did the "right thing" and tried to tell them what it was, but they said they'd still sell it for $125.  Oh well! 

The Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32 is a great scope too.  It's got a longer tube if you need it, great optics, and the Rainguard.  Eye relief isn't as good at 3", but still more than enough unless you are shooting a shoulder buster.  I use mine on a 30-06 just fine.

I also like the Weaver line of scope, they are all fully multi-coated, light weight and compact for their magnifications.  Most people either love or hate Weaver.  The V9 and V10 are several ounces lighter than most comparable scopes, but I personally wouldn't use them on anything stronger than a 30-06 or a 7 mag.  I've heard stories about their durability on rifles with stiff recoil, but I have not had any issues with mine.  For harder kicking rifles, the Weaver Grand Slams are great, but the rubber ring on the eyepiece can make low mounts a problem.  The fixed 4.75x is superb, I love it.  Eye relief is 3.25" and it only weighs 10oz or so.

Leupold does make nice looking scopes, but I honestly don't think that they are the best out there.  The warranty is great, but you are paying alot to have a nice "L" on the scope.  The only scopes I've ever had problems with are a Bushnell Trophy 3-9, and 2 Leupold Vari-X II, and a Leupold Compact 3-9x32.  The Trophy's adjustments went bad (wore them out switching rifles), and it leaked at the housing.  It had been used pretty hard, and I think it held up ok for a $90 scope. It eventually died on a rifle that got ran over (that's another story).  The Leupold 2-7's were bought old stock, in new condition.  On one of them, the crosshair broke after 10 rounds on a 25-06.  The other 2-7 is the only scope I've had that totally de-gased.  The compact 3-9 had such horrible resolution that I couldn't tell if a deer was a doe or a spike at 100 yds.  Looked several times with the scope and my binocs, and the scope just couldn't show it.  Sent all of them in for service, then sold them on ebay, with the issues listed.  I don't really look at Leupold anymore, for what you pay, it was ridiculous to have that much trouble with them.  3 strikes and you are out.  Other people can't say enough good about them.

Nikons are really great too, I've had a couple and no issues at all.  The Monarch 2-7x32 is sweet.

I've had a couple of Burris scopes, all being Fullfield or Fullfield II.  They were ok.  Adjustments are very crisp and seem to hold up well.  Didn't see anything spectacular about them though.

Optics are a topic near and dear to me, if you couldn't tell!

I've not bought anything from the Optic Zone YET, but with all of the positive posts on here, I'd definitely look there first.

Offline YankeeBill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:17:16 PM »
Hi One Hole 4570,

Cement Man and KYelkhunter both gave some great opinions and choices for your rifle.

As previously stated, not sure what your scope budget is but buy the best you can afford.

I've got a mod. seven in 7/08 SS which I topped with  a VX-III  1.75 - 6. I love this set-up.

The scope is light and compact enough not to take away from the mod. 7's fast handeling capabilities and its power range is great for short to mid-range applications.

I've taken deer from 15 feet out to 275 + yds. (and my 1/2 century old eyes aren't the greatest) with my set-up without any problems. Plenty of magnification.

Good luck with what ever you choose!

YB
If there are any guns in your house, one of 'em damn sure better be yours!!!!

Noone ever "needs" a handgun, until they need one very badly!!!!