Author Topic: need 30 WCF load info.  (Read 810 times)

Offline Buckeye

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
need 30 WCF load info.
« on: December 12, 2006, 03:41:14 PM »
Fellows I've got a Stevens Model 325( bolt action) ordered, i planning on trying handloads useing 150 gr. Spire pointed bullets ,Rem. Cor-lokts ,I handload 30 WCF ,and with 150Gr. RN I use 33gr.s of IMR 3031 with good results,.Im not sure if this will work with Spire Points though...

And if you guys have 30-30 Boltguns , I would be grateful for any info.

Thanks
Buckeye
45/70 Government
Is the only Government
        I trust !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: need 30 WCF load info.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 03:56:08 PM »
Buckeye, several reloading manuals show spitzer data in their TC handgun data, Hornady, Lyman and Nosler all do, I would think you'd have to be mindful of COL so they feed ok. One other source that I don't have is the .30-30 Loadbook for $7, Sportsmans Warehouse stocks them if you have one nearby.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=112306
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »
I have used the same date with spire points as flat points in a Savage 24 in 30-30.  There is only date for the flat points in the rifle data, but as Quick noted, the TC section has pointed bullets.  Be aware that some bullets won't perform well at 30-30 velocity.  I just used some common sense, rarely do I load up to the "top" of the chart.  I also have a Win 94 using the same loadings, but not the pointeds,
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:13:45 PM »
I've owned a model 340 Savage, blood kin to your Stevens for 20 years and I've handloaded for it for 10 years.
I've always used the same data for bullet weight for FP and SP.
Your millage could vary.

You are still restricted in COL with the mag size.

Can't go wrong with IMR 3031.
Try H335 and speer 130gr.
RE-7 is another awsome powder.
The new Lee manual has a 125gr at 2600fps with RE-7 and it still a light load.
You can do alot with that rifle in 30-30.
Have fun.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline Buckeye

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 02:43:19 PM »
Thanks for the input ,I think i'll stick with Rem. Cor-lokts Rn bullets,I really see no advantage with using pointed bullets...
I think its more important to have a bullet that works its best at certain Vel. the 30 WCF has had over 110 yr. to perfect there bullets for there vel..The 30-30 is a fine cartridge and is a proven meat harvester ..Theres alot of cartridges that louder ,faster and shoot futher..but in REAL WORLD hunting ,I don't think there is another cartridge that has its track record for deer hunting.
At to 225-250 yd.s a scoped 30-30 can & does and has been for over a 110yr.s
45/70 Government
Is the only Government
        I trust !

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 03:06:30 PM »
The other guys are right, you do have to watch COL.  I took my 325 out the other day with the intent of shooting some of my SP rounds my contender likes.  They loaded in the magazine fine, but they were too long....I had to pry the first one out with a pocket knife.  I guess I could fiddle with seating depth, but didn't really feel the desire to mess with it.  I'm sure I will once I get back into reloading.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 03:18:24 PM »
Hornady 130 grain SSP bullets are great in your stevens. My daughter used a stevens 325 in 30/30 to yake a nice 200 lb black bear. Full penetration. The heart was shattered. But you must be mindful of OAL.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 05:14:22 PM »
Thanks for the input ,I think i'll stick with Rem. Cor-lokts Rn bullets,I really see no advantage with using pointed bullets...
I think its more important to have a bullet that works its best at certain Vel. the 30 WCF has had over 110 yr. to perfect there bullets for there vel..The 30-30 is a fine cartridge and is a proven meat harvester ..Theres alot of cartridges that louder ,faster and shoot futher..but in REAL WORLD hunting ,I don't think there is another cartridge that has its track record for deer hunting.
At to 225-250 yd.s a scoped 30-30 can & does and has been for over a 110yr.s

I'm sure there is some truth to that but the 180gr Sierra sp and 150gr sp Speer worked fine at 30-30 vel. I dropped 2 boars with a combined dressed weight of 552lb with the 180gr and neither took a step after being shot.
Here I had almost convinced myself that I needed some huge firebreathing round.
The 170gr cor-locs with 29gr of IMR 30-31 will do just nicely and has gotten the job done for me on several ocassions. Use what shots best.

The 125 and 130gr bullets I mentioned are both fp and move out at a good clip from a 30-30.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."