Author Topic: What is the accuracy of a 1851 navy 36 caliber revolver  (Read 1597 times)

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
What is the accuracy of a 1851 navy 36 caliber revolver
« on: December 20, 2006, 06:31:37 AM »
What is the accuracy of a 1851 navy 36 caliber revolver using 38 long colt and 38 wadcutters with the R&D converter. Will it just throw the lead or is it as accurate as using lead balls. I’m leaning on this caliber because of its use of the cheaper 38spl rounds. I don't have a revolver yet to convert!

Thanks

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is the accuracy of a 1851 navy 36 caliber revolver
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »
I have 2 Navies, Uberti, with Kirst cylinders and 2 with R&D (gated) cylinders.  I shoot 38 Special with 148 gr. Hollowbase Wadcutters.  Hornady bullets lead a bit.  Better are the Speer and Remington HBWC bullets.

At Cowboy ranges, and indoor range distances (15 to 50 ft) they are very accurate.  At long range outdoors, like 50 yds. or more, the slow roundball twist of the rifling shows up as there isn't a fast enough spin on the long bullet for long range accuracy.

I think the hollowbased bullet being nose heavy has a bit of "arrowhead" effect helping, but not enough to make the bullet stabile at long range.

For real accuracy, R&D will reline the bores to .357 and supply a cylinder chambered for the 357 diameter bullet. The 357 cylinder is throated for the 357 bore size, the 375 chamber is bored straight through to allow the hollowbased bullet to open up for the 375 bore.Check R&D's website for parts and prices.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 05:31:38 AM »
I have 2 Navies, Uberti, with Kirst cylinders and 2 with R&D (gated) cylinders.  I shoot 38 Special with 148 gr. Hollowbase Wadcutters.  Hornady bullets lead a bit.  Better are the Speer and Remington HBWC bullets.

At Cowboy ranges, and indoor range distances (15 to 50 ft) they are very accurate.  At long range outdoors, like 50 yds. or more, the slow roundball twist of the rifling shows up as there isn't a fast enough spin on the long bullet for long range accuracy.

I think the hollowbased bullet being nose heavy has a bit of "arrowhead" effect helping, but not enough to make the bullet stabile at long range.

For real accuracy, R&D will reline the bores to .357 and supply a cylinder chambered for the 357 diameter bullet. The 357 cylinder is throated for the 357 bore size, the 375 chamber is bored straight through to allow the hollowbased bullet to open up for the 375 bore.Check R&D's website for parts and prices.

Flint, Thanks for the help, I have a much better understanding on converting the 1851 Navy and shooting the 38 HBWC rounds, 50 feet should be fine for most uses!

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 11:37:45 AM »
I just did a scratch build on a Navy that will shoot .38 S&W ( it will also shoot 38 short Colt). The bore diameter of the Navy is of course too large for the 38 S&W bullet but it does a passable job at 20 yards. It will keyhole the bullets at anything over 100 feet but who cares? I wanted a small belly gun so I cut the bbl even with the ejector rod, might even put a birdshead grip on it.

On most CAS targets it works just fine and is a good starter pistol for young shooters.

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:17:23 PM »
I just did a scratch build on a Navy that will shoot .38 S&W ( it will also shoot 38 short Colt). The bore diameter of the Navy is of course too large for the 38 S&W bullet but it does a passable job at 20 yards. It will keyhole the bullets at anything over 100 feet but who cares? I wanted a small belly gun so I cut the bbl even with the ejector rod, might even put a birdshead grip on it.

On most CAS targets it works just fine and is a good starter pistol for young shooters.

I got an old S&W Regulation Police in 38S&W, well I think that’s what it’s called anyhow! Ugly as sin on the outside, but it shoots pretty good, it’s small and use it as a camp revolver. If I drop it in a stream, marsh or lake, no big deal. It would probably even look better on the bottom of a stream! I should be getting a Navy 1851 copy this week. Might just shoot RB with black powder for a while and try a conversion some time in the future.It’s been years since I shot a cap and ball, so it should be fun!