Author Topic: First Model Build  (Read 581 times)

Offline Thunderpaw

• Trade Count: (0)
First Model Build
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:37:11 PM »
Let me start by saying I have been following this board for a while and I am amazed at the amount of information you people know and are so willing to share and for that I say thank you. A little background on me, I am a moldmaker for a plastic injection molder in Wisconsin. I enjoy muzzleloader shooting and hunting (I actually got my first elk with the muzzleloader this fall in CO)  this has lead me to Graybeard Outdoors and this topic. After reading and following along this particular topic, I decided to build my own. Before I started my first build I went on vacation to Savannah, Georgia. While I was there, I toured Fort Jackson & Fort Pulaski. If I remember correctly both forts are on the Savannah River and are not to far from each other. As luck would have it I was fortunate enough to attend a cannon firing (more correctly a Howitzer) at both forts. After that vacation I would have to say I was "hooked". There is something about that thunderous crack of a large bore gun that is just awesome.
Before I went all out and started the gun I have drawn up I decided to build a scale model first. I built all of the metal components; barrel (ampco 21), trunnions (pressed), carriage lead screw, and carriage elavation wheel. I had a friend of mine do the wood work (walnut). It is not quite finished but remember this is only a model I will most likely never shoot this one. I did this one for scale and proportion.

Barrel 11" long 1 3/4" diameter bore .500" (I do not have a powder can so I substituted the with the best I had)

I also have plans for a golf ball mountain howitzer and a beer can Coehorn.

Thunderpaw

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: First Model Build
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 07:49:18 PM »
Let me be the first to say thats an interesting elevator youve got there., quite a piece of work I like it !
Welcome aboard   ;D

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 07:52:24 PM »
An interesting freelance design.  Many of us started with freelance designs and evolved into model makers of a sort such that we sometimes wish that we had made our early guns to scale also.  A great source of plans for US artillery of the first half of the 19th century is Antique Ordnance Publishers whose plan list is online.  A good source for 18th century naval style guns is the USS Constitution support group Naval Historical Center - Detachment Boston Engineering Drawings page.  Their drawings cover 24 pounders, 18 pounders and 32 pounder carronades.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:34:59 PM »
Edit by Moderarator:
This is what you posted:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://[/url]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p177/Thunderpaw30/100_0720.jpg

In photobucket copy the link that looks like this and paste straight in the window.

Code: [Select]
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p177/Thunderpaw30/100_0720.jpg[/img]

This is a neat gun by the way. I like it!!!  I would like to see more detail partitularly how you have teh gear driven quinn set up/