Author Topic: Game feeders  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Thundermaker

• Trade Count: (0)
Game feeders
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »
I am considering putting a couple deer feeders on some land I hunt. I just wondered if anyone else uses them. If so whats a good brand. Size. Like that. I was researching them and it seems its a good way to get critters moving through an area, and give them extra grub and nutrients in harsh weather. Thanks. ERIC

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Game feeders
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 01:56:39 AM »
You need "location specific" information.  Is it legal where you are (assumed - yes)?  What type of land are you "feeding" (agricultural, forest, savannah, pines, etc.)?  Any food plots in the vicinity? 

I use twin 55 gallon drum feeders (1-steel and 1-plastic) with internal funnels (1-fiberglass laminate and 1-expanded foam), 6-V battery operated (10-weeks to battery replacement), exterior slinger/programable timer (1-Day Timer II, 1-Cabelas "equivalent"), strategically located, high limb mounted (for better distribution), boat winch and cable hoisted.  Each drum holds 300# of whole kernal corn.  Each timer is set to feed at 30 minutes after dawn, 1 hour after dawn, 1.5 hours prior to sunset, 1 hour prior to sunset, and each feeding runs full speed for 6 seconds with deceleration, which cohntinues to feed for an additional 3-4 seconds.

My set up requires replinishment every 6-weeks.  I have used these two or two like them for almost 10 years (out of sync the last two years due to hurricane losses).  Here are some of the drawbacks:  steel barrels rust, steel lids rust, keeper bands rust, plastic rips from cyclical stress due to wind and sun degredation, corn sours, slingers and moisture do not mix, hogs get most of the corn, humping corn bags gets old, poachers (on conservation - No Hunting - State land) will sit the fence line or boldly go where they ought not go (my land) to "cut off" or shoot the wildlife at or near the feeder, and costs never go down.

Now for the good part, the upside: I rarely miss seeing game; hogs here are a 24/7/365 hunting opportunity on private land ;D ; does bed and raise young in close proximity; where the does are - the bucks are too; turkey use them (in large numbers); everybody wants what I've got  :) ; my wife is "good" with: costs, my time spent replinishing feeders, my obsession with hunting, my time spent hunting, and with the meat provided; my daughter and three boys are learning skills that were never taught to me and loving every minute of it.  It just doesn't get much better than that.

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:04:32 AM »
Mine are similar to land owners with the difference being I use the large gavinized trash cans with 2 holes thru the bottom at the rim with a piece of all-thread thru it to attach a chain and hook to the all-thread, the lid is held on by a heavy screen door spring woth a S hook on each end hooked to the lower cans handles (tried rubber bungie cords wont last) remember once you start full time feeding I feel you are obligated to continue thru the worst part of the winter mo.  JIM

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:06:50 AM »
In a previous job I was involved in a deer control program.  In the early 90's we initially bought a couple auto-feeders manufactured by Kenco.  They were smaller units and had the cheaper timer/clock unit.  Weren't worth a darn.  We later purchased more expensive models made by a Texas outfit; Lehman Feeder and Plow I think was the name.  They held over 100 lbs of corn and had a better and more expenisve timer unit. 

I bought units that ran on 12 volts and used Duracell 12V lantern batteries (6V units were also available).  Then I couldn't get the Duracells anymore and switched to Ray-O-Vac 12V batteries.  Those crummy Ray-O-Vacs could hardly spin the plate when there was corn on it.  I ultimately had to resort to purchasing 6V Energizer batteries and wiring 2 together in series to come up with 12V.  They worked very well.  I'd give the feeders a once over each winter before we put them out.  Sometimes the ground wire would become disconnected and they wouldn't work.  Simple to reconnect it.  A squirt of WD-40 could occasionally work wonders too, after they'd sat in the barn 9 months.

My point it, not all batteries are the same.  I'd also add, spend the money on a high quality timer.  It's worth it in the long run.  We mounted ours on iron pipe.  The spinner/plate was around 5 1/2 feet above the ground.  Some deer learned if they nudged the plate with their nose a little corn would fall out.  Mount 'em higher if you think that would be a problem.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 07:08:47 AM »
I can't believe you censored e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e.  Did I misspell it and inadvertently spell some obscure profanity?

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 07:10:21 AM »
Oh, now I see.  Must have gotten the 'S' and 'I' turned around in expensive.  Sorry 'bout that.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 08:26:43 AM »
Quote from: jmh
...gavinized trash cans...
Nice idea.  We should exchange ideas.  Perhaps I could learn from you.  How do you keep the rain/snow melt out of the now upside down lid that is lipped over the outside of the can barrel, exposing it to catch moisture, which would be delivered directly to the slinger?  Isn't re-righting the can when it is full a big job for one person?  You don't want the slinger to come to rest on the ground or put any force against when righting the can it as it might be crushed.

I agree, once started, feed them through the worst part of the winter. 

Offline Thundermaker

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 10:20:53 AM »
Well after doin some reading, I think either Cabelas or American hunters feeder will do nicely. There is another outfit that makes a 30 gal. barrel setup with funnel and all for a reasonable price. Also some good mineral adds for the area. Do you add any attractants to your corn or just plain? I thought about pouring out some stump likker to draw them to the feeder at first. There are alot of deer in the area, it just a big area. There is a creek running about thirty yds from where I will put my feeder. It is a field which is anternately planted in beans and corn. The spot I like is a place where the field follows a treeline down into a pocket maybe 100 by seventy yds. the pocket is bordered on three sides by tall grass, creek and woods. I'll try to draw a picture and post it if I can figure out how. Thanks for all the replies so far. ERIC

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »
I own 3 ontime "lifetime" feeders.  I've liked them, although I have some complaints about their "lifetime service", namely that it can take a lifetime for them to fix your feeder and send it back.  That being said, my next feeder will be another one of their products.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 01:33:49 PM »
I have had excellent service from the American Hunter line of feeders over the past 4 yrs. I maintain 6 year round on about 5500 acres, 2000 of which I have exclusive use of. However; American Hunter and probably most other feeders will begin to deteriorate fast unless they are maintained in continuous use or properly prepared for protected storage if not in use. I use rechargeable 6 volt batteries in mine and have only had to discard one battery in the last 3 yrs of continuos use. I keep 2 batteries for each feeder so I always have one ready for use when I service a feeder. I usually get 8 to 10 weeks use out of each charge. I no longer waste money on solar chargers or varmint "zappers" mounted on the feeder. The coons and squirrels wreck them within a week. Feeding untargeted critters is a fact of life. I also learned the hard way that tripod stands will be trashed if there is access by cattle or even high concentrations of wild hogs. Galvanized trash cans can be used with some mods ( I use a mig welder) and last a long time. I usually put a heavy rod thru them near the top and reinforce them with stout washers welded on and then weld on a hanger chain for the winch hook. Short legs welded on the bottom will allow you to lower them all the way to the ground and not damage the timer unit when filling. I keep a couple of units on 14 gal cans (50 lb) with bail handles that are easily relocated but require filling weekly. These are for new areas to sort of getting a feel for larger, more permanent units. Again; my small mig welder is handy for making winch brackets and hanging pulleys for limbs and such. Like Landowner, I live in Florida so hogs are 24/7/365. Does and young are almost always there on schedule and occasionally, once in a while, sometimes a good buck will get stupid during shooting light: but even with feeders; there is no guarantee. By the way, a quality game cam is worth every penny if you are using feeders
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline jhm

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 01:54:01 PM »
Land owner you are looking at the can up-side down the lid is on top not the bottom, the all-thread goes thru the upper area just 90 degrees across from the can handles, the thrower is mounted on the vary bottom of the can just like you would on a barrel, the screen door spring about 14 in.. long goes across the lid when it is back on the can I run it across the handle and hook each end of the S hooks to the can handles, I run a solar charger and never replace batteries, it sounds complicated but can be put together in one evening, the internal funnels I had a heat and air contractor make for me.  Hope that cleared up some of the mud, if not send me a pm and I will send you phone # and will discuss it.   JIM

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 01:40:32 AM »
Jim,  Check and double check.  I see what you mean.  I misinterpreted.  I like using "off-the-shelf" items.  I don't weld, but would like to learn.  Adding legs is a nice option.

Wynn, where wre you located?  Guess I should give 6V rechargables a try.  Costs do add up when throwing out dead batteries.  What was your experience with solar trickle chargers?  For one, I don't see how the exterior charging wire is routed from the charger to the battery inside the slinger without breeching the slinger's perimeter "seal" (not that the seal is moisture resistant).  2nd, I don't see how, without using a good bit of slack and its taking a good beating four time per day, how the charging wire stays out of the way of the slinger and it's "high velocity" discharge.

Offline jhm

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 03:40:09 AM »
land owner I am just N. of Conway out by Wolly hollow state Park, now the can has a lip that it sits on when used for its intended purpose, I just drilles 2 holes in that lip and ran the wires over to the thrower where it mounts to the can, the impeller is about 2 in. below the bottom of the can the wires dso get hit by some of the corn but not enough to cause any problems it falls to the ground and is eaten anyhow.   JIM

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 02:53:39 PM »
Landowner, I am over in Polk County on the Southern edge of the Green Swamp. About 12 miles Northeast of Lakeland. I am 11 minutes from my hunting lease and even less to land I caretake for my employer. 15 Minutes from the Green Swamp WMA.

I have had little luck with the factory, add on chargers for the American Hunter slingers. They mount on the side of the unit down below the spinner and the wires go through a slot in the flange where the bottom cup bolts to the top of the unit. The coons and squirrel climb all over it and chew the wires and claw/gnaw up the solar panel. The one I tried lasted about 4 weeks. Not long enough to tell if it was keeping the battery charged or not. If I ever get time, I may design something more substantial and efficient. I order the batteries from Cabelas but have also seen them for sale at Tractor Supply and ACE Hardware in the $11 - $12 range. A small 110V trickle charger is available from the same sources for about $15.

With this dry & mild fall, hog & deer (except Does) seem to have gone nocturnal. The game cams are making me drool but everything is coming in really late at night. I may re apply for a depredation permit for the hogs or start trapping them again just to lay in some pork. That won't give me a go at that 10+ pointer that is staying fat off one of my feeders though. By the way; I must be feeding at least 60 Osceola Turkey on the morning feeder run. I shut the feeders down from mid Feb to May for Spring Gobbler season but otherwise run them year round.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline jhm

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 05:11:29 AM »
I was using a 110 charger to charge my batteries, and would alternate them when I went to the feeder worked for a couple yrs and when I built a new one I went to the solar ones, coons and squirels no problem as mine are on a steel tri-pod with coated steel cable not rope as they can climb the rope, anyhow it seems to work for mr good luck and merry christmas.   JIM

Offline rihmfire

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 12:14:27 PM »
whatever you buy dont buy a feeder with a photocell.....
Some go off way too late in the evening..
get one where you can pick the time you want it to feed..

Offline ROB

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 06:57:56 PM »
If you have a tripod mounted feeder some petroleum jelly on the legs will
keep coons and squirrels off. It's also fun to hide and watch 'em find out
about it. Just cover the top of the pole where they access the spinner, not the whole leg. ROB

Offline Shoreline Trapper

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 06:56:43 PM »
use twin 55 gallon drum feeders (1-steel and 1-plastic) with internal funnels (1-fiberglass laminate and 1-expanded foam), 6-V battery operated (10-weeks to battery replacement), exterior slinger/programable timer (1-Day Timer II, 1-Cabelas "equivalent")

Landowner, do you mean you are using Cabellas feeders then?   
NWCOA,CTNWCO,CTA,NTA,MTA,NRA

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
In response...
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 01:37:26 AM »
Trapper, we're using one-Day Timer II and readying one-Cabelas slinger.  Time will tell if the Cabelas slinger is up to the task ("equivalent" to the Day timer-II, which has been very reliable, very consistent and INCREDIBLY STRONG).  Cabelas is new to us and hasn't stood the test of time as have the Day Timer-II's.  The plastic body of the Cabelas slinger is definately not up to the task the Day Timers have been through (see below).

Hurricanes were hard on steel feeders.  Our Day Timer-II slingers are normally suspended 12 to 15 feet in the air for greater dispersal and they are the lowest part of the feeder to meet the ground (Ouch!)  And barrels meet not only the ground but then the massive falling oak tree limbs above "catch up" and finished it (flat!).  The Day Timer-II slinger was recovered, its metal parts were straightened, and following drying of the on-board circuit board and DC electric motor then installing a new battery it RAN and was returned to service - incredible. 

The 55-gal. plastic barrel is an attempt to eliminate corrosion.  Plastic has drawbacks we have yet to discovered.  Some we have discovered include plastic screw-in plugs in the lid are not UV resistent and are degrading in the sunlight; screw-in plugs leak; there is zero tolerance to "out of round" fit between the barrel and lid. 

We are hoping that when 300# of corn are added to the suspended barrel that it's opening does not become oval.  Out of round happens when the barrel's main support bends as load increases.  If the main support bends, the barrel sides are drawn toward one another along the support. The lid will no longer fit an out of round barrel.  The load must be dumped and the supports stiffened against bending (or the whole effort abandoned).  It is a trial and error process, which we may or may not have figured out. 

We're hoping the plastic sides of the barrel do not experience early fatigue and "pull out" tearing at the main support as caused by the constant action of wind.  We're hoping the squirrels and coons don't chew through the lid.  This is a learning process.

Offline Shoreline Trapper

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 06:04:09 AM »
Thank you Landowner for the quick reply.  Thats some story about the timer being put back into service.
Im not familliar with the Day timer II brand. Im going to look into it right now though.
Thanks for the clarification.
NWCOA,CTNWCO,CTA,NTA,MTA,NRA

Offline Thundermaker

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 05:23:57 PM »
I found a On Time two hundred lb tripod on sale just before Christmas. Havent had time to do anything with it yet. I've been mostly running fuel, and flagging downed power lines due to two massive ice storms. I'll report as soon as I can. ERIC