Author Topic: Home made camo....  (Read 664 times)

Offline DavOh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Home made camo....
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:08:10 AM »
Does anyone use camo clothes they camo'd themselves?  With all the buzz about "open patterns" I got to thinking, and I think I could airbrush an ASAT type pattern onto some cheap khaki colored clothes and save a butt load of money....

Here's the price difference between them

cost of 5 shirts and 5 pants

Enigma -- $750
Predator -- $490
ASAT -- $550

Home Made -- +/- $200 depending on your materials. That's ALOT of money saved...

I Compared to those because of all the buzz around "open patterns"... and they'd be the easiest to simulate, especially ASAT.
-Davoh

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
Re: Home made camo....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »
The closest to home-made camo I've ever used was a ghillie suit.  I spent many hours while laid up on workman's comp sewing strips to a pair of coveralls.  Most effective camo that I've ever seen in use. 

I'm not sure about airbrushing on fabric, but if you can create a pattern that breaks up the human outline, you win.  Deer are basically colorblind, so I suppose that a hawaiian shirt would probably work.  I've never seen the big deal about having a camo pattern to match every tree and bush that you hunt beside. 

Just plain woodland camo is a very effective pattern but it has been overshadowed by these new 'designer' camo patterns.  They sell very well because they fool a hunter's eye more than they fool a deer's eye.  How many times have you had a deer walk right up to you while wearing an orange jacket?

Give it a shot.  What have you got to lose?  Heck, you might make a fortune airbrushing the Next Big Thing in Camo...
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline HillBillyFarmer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 03:14:13 AM »
To date, the best camo I've come up with is the same clothes I wear to the barn. they smell like cows and crap and the deer don't seem to think twice about it.

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:49:23 AM »
HBF   I go out and find fresh cowpies and step in them for "scent camo"  Even been known to take a baggie of the stuff to my stand.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:05:04 PM »
I'll just add an agreement to what's been said. Although I own a few now outdated camo coats, I knew back then to buy cheap and versatile.  My best early season camo is "leftover" army camo. Army pants, m65 field jacket, and in cold weather, my WW2 wool field pants.  They all work just fine.
I've got other patterns, but only if on sale and what I needed (i.e. raincoat, etc). I walk thru Scheels and Gander Mtn and think "ohhh I've got to have that...." and then go into the woods with my old camo patterns and do just fine.
Scent, wind, and location of stand are the most important factors!!!!!!!

By the way, when I cross the long pasture to my stands, i step in ever cowpie I can find too   ;) :D 8)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14