Author Topic: Buck Shot in TDC  (Read 700 times)

Offline Kates

• Trade Count: (2)
Buck Shot in TDC
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:37:21 PM »
Im wanting to shoot #4 buck out of my TDC.  Can someone give me a choke recommendation.  While we are talking chokes, what is a good turkey choke for it?  Thanks

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Buck Shot in TDC
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 09:41:05 AM »
buckshot I would probably use a modified or improved cyl choke, but I dont have much use for it out of my pardner. 

As for a turkey choke, brownells has reasonable prices on Hastings extended turkey chokes.  I have a .665 choke that patterns #6 real nicely.

They take the chokes that fin win, browning invector, or mossberg chokes.

Offline gimphunter

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:25:17 AM »
For buckshot, I'd probably try modified, imp modified and standard full chokes, if nobody has a solid suggestion for you here. Surely someone here shoots enough buckshot to know, though. For turkeys, it can get complicated. I shoot #6 Hevi-Shot through a Briley tube that's made just for Hevi-Shot, and I get killing patterns out to 50 yards. With lead shot, you probably need a tighter choke.

Offline gimphunter

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
One more thing, people say use Win, Browning or Mossberg chokes, but they won't all fit. I think there's only one Winchoke, but with Browning, it has to be the old Invector tubes, not Invector Plus, and with Mossberg, you want the old Accu-Choke, not the newer Accu-Mag or Ulti-Mag versions. Also, I bought a Winchoke IC tube that just didn't fit, even though it's supposed to. It just wouldn't screw in all the way. It's the only Winchoke tube I've tried, so I can't say if it was just that one tube or not.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »
I'm curious, what you a shooting with #4buck? As for the turkey tube it would depend on what load you are planning to use.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Kates

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 01:46:17 PM »
Im shooting coyotes with the #4 buck.  I also have a Topper with a fixed modified barrel, I have shot the #4 and it patterns alright, but Im thinking of trying a larger buckshot size to maybe get a better pattern.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 02:12:46 PM »
Kates,

Here is a pretty good article from Trulock choke on Buckshot and chokes. I using old 3" Federal premeum for the late 70's, in #2 buffer 1 1/4 oz. I use to uses these for Canada geese before steel. The choke I'm using is the extended full choke. I'm hunting the draws in the Ozarks of Missouri and limit range about 40 yards. I have harvested three coyotes. I'm using a 20 ga. TDC.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/chokeinfo.asp

Best of Luck!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter