Author Topic: a couple handi questions  (Read 575 times)

Offline caprocker

• Trade Count: (0)
a couple handi questions
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:05:05 AM »
After removing the barrell assembly etc. for cleaning purposes do i need to reshoot my rifle to check it for accuracy?..i was checking it to see if it was an sb1 or an sb2 receiver last night and went ahead and did a clean job.....also , does the new .444 marlin barrel come compatible with 04' and up sb2 handi's or do you have to buy the .444 as a whole package new?...anyone that could educate me on the .444 would be greatly appreciated..i am lookling for a larger caliber barrel...thanks a bunch , cap
I've got a long list of real good reasons for all the things I've done.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: a couple handi questions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 05:33:56 AM »
After removing the barrell assembly etc. for cleaning purposes do i need to reshoot my rifle to check it for accuracy?..i was checking it to see if it was an sb1 or an sb2 receiver last night and went ahead and did a clean job.....also , does the new .444 marlin barrel come compatible with 04' and up sb2 handi's or do you have to buy the .444 as a whole package new?...anyone that could educate me on the .444 would be greatly appreciated..i am lookling for a larger caliber barrel...thanks a bunch , cap

You'll need to re-check your rifle to be sure the POI hasn't shifted...Mine usually don't..but yours might..but..the accuracy will be the same if you re-assemble it as it was before...You'll need to have the torque on the forearm screw the same..and the barrel centered in the barrel channel..not pushing against one side or the other..The 444 isn't out yet...and hopefully will be in the barrel accessory program sometime soon..but that will be up to NEF as to how soon

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:09:48 AM »
Caprocker, Mac was right on on every point (as usual). In your desire for a larger caliber barrel have you considered one of the "flagships" of the H&R fleet, the venerable 45-70? It is everything the newer rounds are and more, also you can get factory ammo everywhere if you need it.
In addittion it will fill one of a Handholic's basic "needs", since everyone "needs" a 45-70!!!....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 11:16:59 AM »

The 444 is a durn good round in it's own right..and many a head of game has been taken by it...Everything from pistol bullets up thru heavy cast...but as MSP has said...the 45-70 is hard to beat..I no longer have a Handi in it..but I do have one of the new stainless Marlin XLR's in 45-70 and absolutely love it..Here's what it looks like next to my custom 338-06 A-Square..

Get a 45-70 now..or wait till the new 444's are out next year some time...both of them will do rather well..

Have a great one

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...