Author Topic: Cannon Powder screen Size  (Read 460 times)

Offline NVWalt

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannon Powder screen Size
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:02:22 AM »
 I have looked everywhere to find the screen sizes for the differant grades of powder to no avail. Does anybody know what screen sizes are used for cannon, 1f, 2f, 3f, 4f etc. .Going by quess and by golly seems a little not up to par to me. Thanks, Walt

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Cannon Powder screen Size
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 04:00:36 AM »
WELCOME to the board.

I've seen them.  Can't remember right now, but it was a set of seives made of brass too.

I'll look again tonight.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:20:55 AM »
http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs/bptypes.htm

Black Powder Types and Grain Sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The primary difference between "FA" and "Fg" type powders is processing. Both powders begin as milled "meal" powder. The potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulfur are milled together into an extremely fine powder. This milling process takes many hours and is done by remotely operated equipment due to the inherent danger of the process. The meal powder is consolidated under high pressure into a "mill cake" or "press cake" of solid Black Powder. Powerful hydraulic presses are typically used to press the meal powder into solid cakes. The mill cake is then dried and crushed into grains. The crushing process is called corning. Both types of powder are screened to remove fines and to separate the different grain sizes.

Blasting "A" type powders are not usually tumbled. If blasting powder is tumbled, it is just for a short time to knock off any sharp and long projections. Sporting "g" type powders are tumbled with a tiny amount of graphite to polish the grains. The Black Powder formula is the same. The graphite is not part of the basic Black Powder formula. Graphite does act as a burn rate modifier. The trace of graphite slows the burn rate slightly. Grain sizes are different for sporting and blasting powders.

The "A" type powder is a blasting powder, and is used mostly by pyrotechnicians and for some specialized quarry work.

Sporting Grade Black Powder
Whaling 32/64" mesh 3% held 4 mesh 12% pass
Life Saving 6 mesh 3% held 12 mesh 12% pass
Cannon 6 mesh 3% held 12 mesh 12% pass
Saluting 10 mesh 3% held 20 mesh 12% pass
Fg 12 mesh 3% held 16 mesh 12% pass
FFg 16 mesh 3% held 30 mesh 12% pass
FFFg 20 mesh 3% held 50 mesh 12% pass
FFFFg 40 mesh 3% held 100 mesh 12% pass
FFFFFg No Longer Manufactured by Goex

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »

Offline NVWalt

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 12:44:34 PM »
 I would like to thank you all for the information and have a Happy New Year,,,Walt