Author Topic: Time Requirement for horses  (Read 785 times)

Offline Woodchuk

• Trade Count: (0)
Time Requirement for horses
« on: May 08, 2003, 08:44:38 AM »
Just wondering how much time everyone who has horses generally spends taking care of them and enjoying them...How many hours a day?

Also what can one generally expect to pay for upkeep?  Feeding, tack, vet bills, etc...

And where do you keep them?  What's the minimum a person should expect to pay for fencing, ect.?

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 01:43:59 PM »
Those are some good questions you have there, Woodchuck. I could type enough on those that if you read it all your eyeballs would fall out.  :roll: But I will try to keep it short.

To the first question, the care/ enjoyment ratio.  I spend about 5 times my riding time, on ground work (training), feeding, mucking, fencing etc.  I include all this in my enjoyment time so very little of it is real work to me. I just like spending time with them. Hauling, handling and stacking hay bales is work, that is the only part I dislike. Finding it to buy is really the hardest part.

As far as hours per day? Many days all I do is feed hay in the morning, check the auto waterer, and look them over quick. 15 minutes tops. Then the same at night. Then some days I spend all day on training, or fixing fence, or building on my obsticle course.

On upkeep, mules and horses are different. I am speaking generaly here, as each horse or mule will be different.  Mules take "way less" over all upkeep than a horse.  I have one 1160lb mule and one 850lb mule. So about one ton total.  I also have one horse that is 900lbs or just less than half ton.  The horse eats and poops conciderably more that my two mules together do. The horse also craps anywhere she happens to be, my mules have specific areas. They will leave their stall clean all summer long unless closed in there for some reason.  The horses seems to go out of there way to poop and pee inside the stall.

I have about 2 1/2 acres of pasture which will feed my two mules all summer long (5 months). For the remainling 210 days I buy about 6,300 lbs of grass hay or 100 to 200 bales, depending on there weight. This is enough for both mules. Grass hay around here is $1 per bale whether they are 30 pounders or 70 pounders. My horse requires nearly that same amount of hay by herself.  I also feed about 5 lbs of a grain mix per day to my horse. For my mules I feed zero, up to maybe one lb of oats per day each in the winter months. They stay fat and my horse stays skinny. I go through about 4 salt blocks and 4 mineral blocks every year. $8 each.

Vet/med bills; mantainance is about the same on horses or mules. I have a farrier come out about ever two months to trim hooves at $15 per animal. I worm them every two months. That is $7 to $15 per animal depending on what wormer is on my rotation list for that time.  I have the vet out twice a year.  In the spring she gives 3 way, tetnus, and West Nile shots with a quick check up. She charges me about $120 for all that for the three animals combined. One critter would cost more than a third of that though. I also have her come out to give a Coggins test once a year if I am taking them out west or going to sell one. I think that is $20 plus $20 for her to show up at the farm, so I try to work it into a regular visit.  Teeth floating every two to three years is about $55 a critter. I have never had a bad injury on a horse or mule so I don't know the cost to that.

Fencing; use a electric fence. I use a wire that is actually a white 1/4 inch nylon rope with wire strands in it. My local Fleet Farm has it. It is easy for the animals to see and it doesn't sag like the white or yellow tape does. And the deer see it too. I use two or three strands. For posts I use steel T posts 16 ft apart and the smaller rod posts for a temporary fence.

Tack; spend  as much on your tack as you wood on a good, but green horse.

I just bought a custom (made to fit my paticular mule) saddle for $800. They can go 3 times that.

A rope halter you can tie yourself or buy one for $15 to $30. A rope halter is an important tool.  A lead/ lunge rope is about $5 to $25.  A bit & bridle is about $40 to as much as you want to spend. I spent $70 on a leather halter bridle. made my own reins and slobber straps.  Saddle blankets are from $25 to $175.

Then there are feed buckets, mucking forks, gates, stalls, bug spray, a horse trailer, a truck to pull it, etc.

There are also your "vet" bills to consider. Mine, last year, was about $2,500. That was for a broken collar bone (my wife's). Two broken fingers, a cracked rib, and a boogered up leg (all mine). All of  these were my fault, including my wife's collar bone; nothing the animals did wrong, but happened never the less.  Spend more $ on a well broke horse and good tack, then you'll spend less $ at your doc's office.

Housing; I have a 10x10 stall in my barn for each animal but 12x12 would be better. I have a 45 foot diameter roundpen, for training, that runs about $1,000.

I guess, after writing this all down, a $5,000 fourwheeler is looking pretty good......but then fourwheelers don't come a running when they see you. Thats worth something.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Woodchuk

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 05:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the info, Hud...I appreciate the time you put into your response.

Despite the cost, I'm gonna have to get me one or two someday...

Offline 107ch

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 02:32:19 AM »
Hi,
We have a 13 yr old buckskin 1/2 arab 1/2 quarter at 15.2 hh. he was well mannered and the previous owner used him for trail riding all over the country. Initial cost was 2000.00 . We board him as we do not yet have a farm of our own. The cost is 275.00 per month. That includes a stall(cleaned daily) for him and all of his feed and an indoor arena to ride in.You can find boarding around here cheaper, but I know he is well cared for at the stable we chose. He doesn't wear shoes so the farrier trims his hooves every 6-8 weeks at 25.00 a pop. Vet bills....I think I paid 190.00 last time for a coggins check, he had his teeth floated and received some medication for a cough. The vet has looked at him before for a sore back (acupunture) and that was 150.00. But it worked well and he is checked every time that vet comes back, he has not needed another treatment. Tack.....I purchased a very nice brand new hard seat cowboy saddle on e-bay. I received saddle, cinch, bridle and reins, pad and blanket for 350.00. All I needed was a bit. My wife rides english and we recently got her a new(used) saddle on e-bay as well it sold new for 1650.00 and we got it for 500.00 in excellent shape. And also as with any hobby/interest. There is always stuff you buy that you just can't live without! Good luck!
Dennis
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve, nor will he ever receive either"
              Benjamin Franklin

Offline jiminpa

• Avid Poster
mules
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 04:02:12 AM »
hey hud,i had a mule i bought unseen and found out she was so skittish you could'nt go near her.someone had abused her terriblely. i ended up selling her,but often wonder if i could have done anything differnt to train her. i kept her for over a year,talking to her, leading(?) her in a round pen but she would never let me get too close to her.she would not even take pepermint candy from hand,but would get it if you left it on a post.any suggestions for future purchases?
life member pa trappers
life member v.f.w.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 04:14:32 PM »
Dennis,
$275/month sounds like a fair deal all the way around.  

I had looked into using part of my barn and boarding horses here. After investigating all the costs involved I found I would need 10 boarders to pay at least $265 each to break even and in 8 years have all my investment paid for. I decided it was not worth it. I can't see how some can do it for less and stay in business.

I just bought a saddle pad on ebay. Haven't got it yet though.

Happy trails
Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 04:45:26 PM »
Jiminpa,
A mule has a long memory. It could take at least a year for an abused mule to warm up to you.  An abused one can be trained out of its well founded fear, but many times it is just not worth the time, effort, and possible bodily injury to do so.  Even then, he may only trust you.  There are too many good mules out there to be had.

One trick I learned is the "dirt test". When first approaching a mule, or horse, pick up a hand full of dirt and hold it out to them. Slowly let it spill out the bottom of your hand.  If they stick their nose out to investigate, that is a good sign. If they pull their head back and you see the whites around their eyes, or their eyes kind of roll back, that is not a good sign as far as steadyness or mental attitude.

Tomorrow I plan to build a popcan box for my obsticle course and try her out in it.

To get my mule accredited to be a posse horse, one of the many things it has to do is to be able to walk through a box about 10 feet square out of 2x4s on edge with a tarp underneath and filled with empty popcans and plastic soda bottles. They have have to walk through this with no trouble.  Last week I built a 4 foot x 12 foot teeteer-totter for her to walk over.  She is getting better at crossing, but I have not riden her over it yet.

Hud

Offline NM Brushpopper

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2003, 07:36:13 PM »
Won't add the cost because my horses are like food I can't live without them! Don't have time alotted for their care, always doing it.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 05:43:53 AM »
Brushpopper,
I thought you said your horses are food, the first time I read your post!
I had to do a quick re-read.

What kind of horses do you have?

Hud