Author Topic: Shoulder Mount $ ?  (Read 585 times)

Offline Buddy in AK

• Trade Count: (0)
Shoulder Mount $ ?
« on: December 22, 2006, 08:14:54 AM »
Just wondering what you pay in your neck of the woods for a shoulder mount?  There ia a guy here in Fairbanks, Alaska (from PA) that does real nice work.  I have a nice Whitetail rack I got as a kid.  He said he could get me a good tanned cape $100 to $150 and $595 for the mount.  What do you pay and where?

Buddy in AK

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
Re: Shoulder Mount $ ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 08:27:13 AM »
We have a place down the road that does GOOD work for $450 (shoulder) and I'm pretty sure he tans white tail hides for less than $100.  We also have another guy that charges close to $600 for mounts that sport his signature "bug eyes".  Not quality work at all.  That same guy also has a tendency to lose track of capes.  Unless you tell him you want YOUR cape back on the mount, you run the risk of getting someone elses cape on your mount.
San Angelo, Tx.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »
I've got a guy here in Mi. that does mine for $300.00 he does a fantastic jod compaired to the first deer I had mounted and I think the cost me $375. - Kevin

my last mount

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »
There are several taxidermists within maybe 70 miles of here (NW Illinois/ East Central Iowa) cost anywhere from $250-$500.  If you spend less than about $400 it will look like a deer that was shot then drug out of the woods and put up on the wall.  An aquaintance had one of the $275 jobs done on a really nice deer.  You could tell it was a whitetail but it was pretty rough.  I haven't had one mounted for 2 years but I've got a head in my freezer that has to go in this winter.  The last one cost $480 and it turned out beautifully.

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »
I left one at Hibler's in Kingsville, TX for $550.00.  They do excellent work.

Got another one at a place in Mississippi for $300.00.  He had some pretty good mounts in his shop, but time will tell on him.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 04:14:11 AM »
I haven't had a deer done yet but I have a guy in the Chicago area that does museum work and he did a really nice caribou shoulder mount with removeable antlers for $650.00. I think deer is around the same price. It sounds kind of expensive but I would rather pay a little more for a quality mount that's going to last.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 06:45:39 AM »
Gee guys, I just nail the antlers on the side of the barn, along with the others, and use the money I've saved to buy another rifle or more reloading stuff.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 04:56:28 PM »
I pay $400.00 for a deer shoulder mount, the price is going up to $450.00 next year. But my taxidermist does a great job and is the best I have seen in several States I have been to.

I have 10 deer mounted so far in the past 4 years.

If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA