Author Topic: Need Help w/Gun ID/info (7.65mm WWII era?)  (Read 931 times)

Offline Woodchuk

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Help w/Gun ID/info (7.65mm WWII era?)
« on: April 29, 2003, 10:52:19 AM »
Fellas, I need your help.  This handgun comes from my grandfather who has passed away and I don't know much about it...

It's a semi-auto and I'm told around WWII era...Stamped "Fabrique D'Armes Guerre", "CAL 765".

As near as I can figure it was munufactured by Fabrique DÂ’Armes de Guerre.  There's a picture of one on the following link, third firearm down.

http://www.firearmsid.com/Galleries/Firearms/a_fagallery.htm

Anyone know where I can find more information on this gun...Manufacturer, Model number, ammunition...  Also anyone have any ideas if I can find any ammuniton to SAFELY shoot in this gun.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Woodchuk

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Need Help w/Gun ID/info (7.65mm WWII era?)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 04:29:24 PM »
If your handgun reads Fabrique d'Armes de Guerre, it isn't Spanish. It was produced in Belgium by the company currently known as Fabrique Nationale in Herstal Belgium. The old Browning guns were produced by F.N. and during the war(WWII), Belgium was German occupied and F.N. produced guns for the German war machine. Many guns were made with sub-standard workmanship, only to meet the demand sooner. Some guns, were deliberately sabotaged and those suspected of being of that era, should be checked out throughly. Try emailing Fabrique Nationale or writing them with a picture and description of the piece. They are still in business and might have some knowledge of the gun's identification. I tried to ID an old Sako Browning about 10 years back and was told by Browning that much of their history went up in flames from Hitler's siege. Wish I could help more.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!