Author Topic: Goings on?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Goings on?
« on: December 20, 2006, 02:15:08 PM »
Hey all,

I've had a few people wondering about me. Thanks, for noticing.

My big lathe broke again and has put me out of business for the last couple months. (or so) I am pleased to say that I have all the parts finished. Gears sure aint for the faint of heart!!! I had to build one gear cluster with 3 gears on it and a keyed hole. One gear cluster had to be fixed. Then there was a small gear that had an oddball spline cut in the center. tomorrow I'm going to reassemble the lathe and make sure that everything is good. Then I plan on tearing it back apart and the gears that I cut will be sent off to be heat treated. Hopefully that won't take very long. Keep your fingers crossed. I can post some pictures of the gears that I made if any are interested.

I also have been building a copycarver. http://www.copycarver.com/ I got it done a couple of weeks ago.  I've used it a Very small amount. I think it works as good as advertised and should be added to the links. I think it will be very helpful in building carriages. I can carve a master and then carve as many as I want off that. When I get some time I'll post some pictures of it, and the results.

I have also been trying to get my shop finished. I needed more room for the foundry and my woodworking stuff. You can't imagine how crowded I was. A friend helped me insulate it and we got the OSB up and painted last week. The heater should be running by this weekend.

I've been kind of hard to get as hold of because of all the goings on here. I'll be back to good after the first of the year. If any need to get a hold of me, Email me at wesleyp9@cableone.net I'll be sure to get back with you.

Everyone please be safe this Holiday season, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: Goings on?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 05:40:16 AM »
Merry Christmas Wes !

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 01:50:57 PM »
Hope everyone had a good one.

I reassembled my lathe and 3 of the 4 sets of gears worked really good. That forth set is giving me fits though. I am going to set the big gear up and take a couple thousands deep cut all the way around and see if that helps. I also noticed that I can make them line up better if I shorten one and put a spacer on the back side.

Stay tuned......

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 08:25:32 AM »
Well Santa is sittin' here with his legs up, enjoying a cold one(Diet Coke) and thinkin' about next year .
TO ALL of you! Happy Boxing day & Kwanza, and may your  new year be better than the last!
Santa Dave
NOW I Gotta clean up this mess! :D
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
I got to thinking about those gears and thought I'd try machining .020 of the outside of the small one. It worked!!! A friend came over and we put it all back together again and all is now well. The trouble with this project was that the two gears I needed to recreate were gone. You could tell how many teeth were there but that's about it. I had to make the two fit each other.

Now it's off to the Heat treeter's they go. Hopefully it won't be to long.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 07:25:15 AM »
And we thought making cannons was hard LOL  Thats awesome !!!

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 12:49:17 PM »
I sent the gears off today. I was told that they are a bit behind. Probably be 3 weeks. Hopefully sooner than later.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"