Author Topic: Casting pot recommendation  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Tigman

• Trade Count: (0)
Casting pot recommendation
« on: November 16, 2006, 03:19:48 AM »
Just getting started and figured I'd start with the pot first. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Mark

Offline calvon

• Contributor
Re: Casting pot recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 10:15:24 AM »
It depends on how much casting you want to do. If you plan to cast not so many, get the cheapest Lee pot you can find. The Lee bottom feed pots have valves prone to leak. A dipper pot is recommended.

But if you plan to do quite a lot of casting, get a Magma Master Pot. It holds 40 pounds and it has a bottom valve mechanism that doesn't leak. It also has a good thermostat that maintains constant temperature. The downside is that it is spendy, like $400.

Offline jack19512

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »
Just getting started myself.  In the process of obtaining my lead(wheel weights)and smelting them.  Got well over 150 lbs. done so far and only 5 - 5 pound buckets to go.  Although the number of buckets of lead are growing a lot faster than I can process.  I have a Lee dipper pot on my CHRISTmas list.   :)

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 02:02:06 PM »
I've had my RCBS bottom pour pot for over ten years and I'm really happy with it.  Besides, their customer service is second to none.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline R.M.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »
I have one of each Lee bottom pour pots. Yes they do drip a bit, but for the price differnce, I'll stick with Lee. I can put up with a little dripping.

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »
I've had my RCBS bottom pour pot for over ten years and I'm really happy with it.  Besides, their customer service is second to none.

I also have the RCBS, i moved up from a Lee...  It was a good move as the Lee i had was too slow to recover.  My first Lee bit the dust, and i've had this RCBS well over 25 years now..

The more lead it holds the easier it is to keep the temp consistant and you will get better quality bullets...

An old dutch oven on a stove works pretty good, and it's cheap....  You can buy a one burner stove and use a BBQ tank on it in the garage, you don't have to use the kitchen stove...

DM

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 04:07:21 PM »
Just getting started myself.  In the process of obtaining my lead(wheel weights)and smelting them.  Got well over 150 lbs. done so far and only 5 - 5 pound buckets to go.  Although the number of buckets of lead are growing a lot faster than I can process.  I have a Lee dipper pot on my Christmas list.   :)

That should have been 5 - 5 gallon buckets not 5 pound buckets.   :-[

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 03:45:23 AM »
if you know for sure casting is something you want to persue buck up and buy a lyman or rcbs or magma youll never regret the purchase!!
blue lives matter

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 05:41:10 PM »
Just curious, just where would you draw the line when it comes to how much you plan on casting vs. paying the $$$ for the much more expensive pot?

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 03:01:39 PM »
I vote for the Lee.

When I started shooting blackpowder cartridge rifle in 1997, I already had a Lee 4-lb. and  a Lee 10-lb., but I bought a Lee 20-lb pot in order to handle the big bullet weights of 400 to 550 grains without running out of metal too fast.

I have used that Lee 20 lb pot on an average of once per week since then - that's about 500 casting sessions.  The pot does drip a little, but it doesn't seem like it's any big deal.  I never use the bottom pour feature, so I guess if it really bothered me, I could plug that bottom hole with a screw........but I've never gotten around to it.

One other thing to consider - if you really get into this, and decide to get a more expensive pot later, the other pot probably won't go to waste.  I have my big pot filled with 20:1 alloy, another with linotype, and a third with wheelweights.  It saves the hassle of continually having to empyt and then re-fill one pot with different types of alloy.  The expense of three pots is not too much of a problem when they cost $35 to $60 each (Lee).  But when they're $200 to $400 each...............

I do recommend one thing with the Lee (and probably with other pots too)  - spend some of the money you saved by buying a Lee pot to get yourself a lead thermometer.  RCBS and Lyman have them for about $20.  Keep notes on what temperatures you need for casting with the different alloys with different bullet moulds.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 02:32:17 AM »
jack in my opinion there just better casting pots. I dont really think its a matter of how often your going to cast. If you plan on doing this for a lifetime there a pretty small investment. One of my lymans has been going strong for over 15 years and the people who know me on here will testify that i cast a pile of bullets. The lee pots will get you by no doubt. But so will a single stange press and a lyman lubesizer but a good pot a star sizer and a dillon press sure make for alot easier living. Bottom line is like most things you get what you pay for. I guess a guy could get by with a propane burner and a pot too but ive been spoiled for to long using a good pot to go back to a lee and before someone jumps me i have owned 3 lee pots. I now own 2 20lb lymans and a 10lb lyman and wouldnt part with them for anything. Well unless i got a good deal on a magma or rcbs pot.
Just curious, just where would you draw the line when it comes to how much you plan on casting vs. paying the $$$ for the much more expensive pot?
blue lives matter

Offline pistolfan

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »
I'd go with the Lee for staters, I've had mine  (bottom pour) for quite a few years and it's still works great. Yes it leaks ounce in awhile, just take a paper clip and clean out the hole and there fixed for awhile. The price difference between a Lee and an RCBS, Lyman is pretty steep so unless you plan on loading boxes and boxes of bullets you wont be disappointed in the Lee. Oh by the way I'm not a real big Lee products fan but when something works go with it. Peter aka pistolfan

Offline VTDW

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 03:14:03 AM »
I think Drilling Man got it right!!

The more lead it holds the easier it is to keep the temp consistant and you will get better quality bullets...
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 01:07:25 PM »
One of my lymans has been going strong for over 15 years and the people who know me on here will testify that i cast a pile of bullets. The lee pots will get you by no doubt. But so will a single stange press and a lyman lubesizer but a good pot a star sizer and a dillon press sure make for alot easier living.

My testifying that Lloyd cast a pile of bullets would be a HUGE understatement!  He casts piles and piles of bullets.  I started off with a Lee casting pot which I just replaced with a Lyman.  Also replaced a Lyman Lubesizer with a Star, and replaced a single stage press with a Dillon.  I made these changes after using Lloyd's equipment and comparing it to my own.  What he said is certainly true, you can get by with a Lee but you can also do much better.

Offline ihmsa70

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 02:56:12 PM »
Don't get a Lyman.  I used one for about 20 years, and the thermostat went out.  The rest of the pot and hardware was just like new.  I called Lyman to get a new thermostat.  The woman I talked to wasn't interested, and was pretty snippy with me.  Get RCBS, they are quality and the service is second to none.
Clyde

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 09:55:51 AM »
i'd start with what ever you can find cheap. (I like the bottom pour pots) after casting bullets a half dozen times, you find you still enjoy it, then it may be time to start looking for something a little better.  There's no use spending a ton, only to find out you don't enjoy it. (And if it's not enjoyable....what's the use? It really doesnt save you too much money once you consider the time involved and the equipment costs)

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »
Just getting started myself.  In the process of obtaining my lead(wheel weights)and smelting them.  Got well over 150 lbs. done so far and only 5 - 5 gallon buckets to go.  Although the number of buckets of lead are growing a lot faster than I can process.  I have a Lee dipper pot on my Christmas list.   :)

Got my Lee pot and so far I am very happy with it.  Only time will tell how long it will last I guess.   :)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 01:18:26 PM »
20 years and the thermostat went! now thats unreliable. :D I have to admitt i have 3 of the lymans and one of them had a thermostat go bad after about 10 years and my pots are ran an average of 4 days a week for probably 2 hours a day. Thats about 4000 hours of casting and my oldest pot is probably twice as old and has never given my a bit of trouble. Every time i fire up that old 10lb lyman i wonder if it will be the last time but it just keeps on ticking.Im sure rcbs would have probablys sent me the parts for free. Lyman offered to fix mine if i sent it in but i told them the shipping would make it not worth while. they didnt want to send a theromstat as they were conserned with me wiring it wrong and burning down the house and putting them in liabilty trouble. But when i explained to them that i was an electrician theys sent me one and believe they charged me 15 bucks for it. Im sure half of that was shipping. Dont missunderstand me. Ive had some bad runins with lyman too and would recomend buying from rcbs myself but id hardly call a 20 year old pot that a 15 dollar part went on bad. I wish i could buy a car that was that reliable.zBottom line though is when the first one of the three craps out im going to pick up one of those beautiful 90lb magmas now thats a pot. A guy could cast till he was tired and not even need to run two or three pots.
Don't get a Lyman.  I used one for about 20 years, and the thermostat went out.  The rest of the pot and hardware was just like new.  I called Lyman to get a new thermostat.  The woman I talked to wasn't interested, and was pretty snippy with me.  Get RCBS, they are quality and the service is second to none.
Clyde
blue lives matter